Kilkenny suggestions

Search

Kilkenny suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kilkenny suggestions

I'm looking for a place in the country to visit for a few days after being in Dublin for work. Can anyone provide suggestions on Kilkenny?
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:00 AM
rex

Bringing your messahe back up, "to the top", since you are (relatively) new here.

Welcome to the Europe forum.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Kilkenny is a larger town with medieval roots. It's got a lot of shops, pubs and restaurants and can be quite bustling in high season. It's an easy drive, train or bus ride from Dublin. It's one of my favorite towns.

From Kilkenny, trips to Kells Priory, Bennettsbridge (Nicholas Mosse and other potters) and Jerpoint Abbey (in Thomastown) would be some nice escapes. I have a walking tour and list of accommodations that I've compiled if you're interested...drop me a line at [email protected] if it's something you're interested in.

If you really want to stay in the country there are many places outside of Kilkenny that would be perfect. Inistioge is a picturesque little village not far from Kilkenny (the setting for the film Circle of Friends)...Woodstock Gardens
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM

We stayed at a B&B Cnoc Mhuire in Kilkenny. We loved Kilkenny. We took a walking tour that was great. The castle and grounds are beautiful. We went to Jerpoint Abbey too. This B&B was good, it's a bit of a walk into town they tell you ten minutes but it's closer to 15-20. My husband and I joke now and ask is that an Irish 10 minutes? Have a great time.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Kilkenney is a nice larger town or small city however it is hardly out in the country. after Dublin why not try one or two smaller villages and get a taste of the slower pace and friendly villagers. Just south of Dublin is the small coastal village of Graystones and then a wander thru the Wicklow Mountains is lovely. If you do Kilkenny I can Rec. the walking tour out of the Tourist Office if it is still on during the off season. Have fun.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
CU

Have a look at www.Kilkenny.ie
www.ireland.travel.ie
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:51 PM

We were there 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Kilkenny River Court, we had a room with a balcony that overlooked the castle, what a great view especially at night when it was warmley lit!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone ever stayed at the Club House Hotel?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 09:15 AM

If you stay in or near Kilkenny and like Italian food (by then you might want a break from traditional Irish fare), try Rinuccini's at No 1, The Parade, opposite the castle. During a three-night stay in Kilkenny a few years ago, I ate there twice it was so good. www.rinuccini.com

Kate
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel?
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:06 AM

if you want something different...do not go to Kilkenny (liked the castle, loved Jerpoint abbey) it is a city.
if you wanted that, you would be better off staying in dublin and daytripping north to newgrange/tara/etc. or south to wicklow to tour powerscourt/glendalough.

we found kilkenny unfriendly and confusing to drive/park in

I would get out of town for a change of pace, especially since you said country

some nice places in the wicklow mts. or north around trim

we stayed across from the hibernian (wouldn't recommend...only place stayed that got a cold shower and cold reception...more of a hotel than stated B&B). drank a few pints in the hibernian bar...not "traditional pub"...hotel bar feel

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:53 PM

There is a wonderful guesthouse in Kilkenny called NEWLANDS COUNTRY HOUSE.The hosts Nicola & Eamonn are beautiful people.You'll love the place,email address is: [email protected]/tel # 056 7729171 and dont lose these as you will be going back again & again
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I notice that this is SEEFORD's first ever post highly recommending Newland's and they have an Irish email address. I am interested in hearing other recommendations from SEEFORD as well as trip reports, etc.

jules, Have you thought about staying in Cashel? It is much smaller than Kilkenny. Co. Wicklow (south of Dublin) is also lovely.