Kilkenny or Waterford?

Jan 21st, 2002, 12:45 PM
MJ

Kilkenny or Waterford?

We're travelling to Ireland in July and have planned out most of our itinerary. We'll be staying in Galway, Dingle, Kinsale and Dublin (so much to see - so little time; we'll go North on another trip). We also have two nights to spend in either Kilkenny or Waterford. Both have been recommended, but I'd like some additional thoughts on these towns before deciding, and also advice on accomodations. We generally like to stay "in town", but "close to" is ok if a really special or unique property. Private bath is a must, "three stars" or better, are there any castles or country homes in these areas? Thanks for your help.

Jan 21st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Stanton Smith

Went last year. Kilkenny. Kinsale will be wonderful. The best bet you can have is B+B's. You get your own bathroom and they are inexpensive. Castle are hard to come around.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:10 PM
rebecca

KILKENNY!
great town.

Waterford worth a drive thru- working industrial town. I can tell you more pound stores (dollar stores) where quaint sweater shops used to be!

Kilkenny is a great little town with shops, beautiful buildings and nightlife. Hopping on the weekends.

We did a similar route. We skipped Galway and did Doolin, Dingle, Kenmare, Kinsale, Kilkenny and Dublin.
If you go to Dingle go to Mulcahy's pottery shop on Slea head drive. I saw wonderful things but I figured I'd wait till later..I saw his work for 3 times the price in Kilkenny and Dublin.
Have a great time!

Shopping is expensive in Kilkenny, Kinsale, Dublin.

Have a wonderful trip!

Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Diana

I would highly recommend staying both nights in Kilkenney and taking a day trip (45 minute drive) to Waterford City for the Crystal Factory. Kilkenney is a charming town and there is a lot to experience. Check into B&B's since I think they're the best way to go. I also would make reservations prior to the trip since you're going during high season. Have a wonderful trip.

Jan 28th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Mary Jane

Thanks all for your responses. We have decided to stay in Kilkenny with a daytrip to Waterford for the crystal factory.
If anyone has recommendations for restaurants or pubs in Kilkenny I'd love to hear about them!

Jan 28th, 2002, 08:48 PM
iltbd

Langtons!

Jan 29th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Irish person

The best b&b (better than the very mediocre hotels thre) in Kinsale is the Old Presbytry (spelling). Crisp white Irish linen, great food etc- central location with parking.

hotels in kilkenny- try kilkennyrivercourt.com- a new hotel but great weekend deals.

Jan 30th, 2002, 01:13 PM
kam

Glad you chose Kilkenny! Another vote for Langton's pub. Also Kyteler's and Tynan's Bridge House.I would skip the Waterford tour and visit Kilkenny Design Center instead. The prices at Waterford are the same as at Macy's! You might be interested in Galway crystal though which you will find in Galway City. Hotels in Kilkenny are the Hibernian ( in an old bank in center of town) or the Kilkenny River Court--a new and quite posh hotel in the city center. Think they probably have websites.