Keukenhof and tulips

Search

Keukenhof and tulips

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keukenhof and tulips

I planned to be in (and bought tickets to) Amsterdam on May 6 to catch the tulips, based on Keukenhof's schedule which said it is open until May 20. I assumed that as long as the park was open I would be able to see the tulips. However, just now I saw the park's website and it says something about "indoor shows" and points that tulips are from march 24 to march 30. Then points to different exhibitions, but NO tulips, on other dates. Now I'm all confused. I am not sure if that means I won't get to see the tulips unless I go before march 30 or if it means something different... any advise? I want to be absolutely positive that if I go all the way there to see tulips I get to see them...
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM

In the early 90's I went to Keukenhof in probably the second week of May. There were plenty of tulips to see. It seems that they plant different patches to bloom at different times so there are always some tulips blooming. There are a lot of different kinds of bulbs on display. I was totally blown away. You will love it.

The tulips are also blooming in the fields around Keukenhof.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Yes,you will be able to see many tulips in the garden outdoor ground in May.

The exhibition is about some special species/competitions in the pavillions.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:56 PM

You should still see tulips... but really, every time you turn a corner of Keukenhof you will see beauty! We were there in late April and there were plenty of tulips. I was looking for anemonies and found one small patch. It is a magical garden!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone done the cheese and windmills as well? How far is it from Amsterdam? What places do you recommend seeing? Are 2 days in Amsterdam enough to see Keukenhof and do cheese and windmills?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Naty, try to visit the weekly traditional cheese auction in Alkmaar. It's on Friday from 10 to 12.30 and Amsterdam-Alkmaar is only half an hour on the train.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:06 AM

I was there a couple years ago in early May and yes the gardens are amazing. The fields of tulips one thinks of when traveling through the countryside was over though. I believe that was suppose to be prime in early-mid april. But Keukenhof and the Netherlands are just amazing. Jealous!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM

We booked a trip to Amsterdam to wrap around the US Memorial Day holiday. Our dates are after the close of Keukenhof. What are our flower-gazing options? Any other tulip fields left?
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Naty,

You don't have to go far to &quot;do cheese&quot; in Holland. Just go into any cheese store or Albert Heijn and gawk at the selection. The Dutch word for cheese is <i>kaas</i>. The attendant, they all speak English, will slice off a sliver to let you taste before you buy. The cheese is not as varied as in France but it is darn good.