Kerouac's Guide to CDG?

Old Sep 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerouac's Guide to CDG?

Kerouac,

Could you please give me a link to the wonderful photographic guide to CDG that you posted some time ago? I have friends who have been spooked by all of the negative stuff they have seen on line about that airport.. I'm sure your step by step guidance would allay their trepidation and help them find their way.

I tried to search for it using the new search function, but came up blank.

Thanks
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
is this the one you meant?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...irport-rer.cfm

(I found it w/ the advance search function)
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That looks like it to me. I don't see why CDG is maligned so much. Obviously the super-duper Asian and Middle Eastern airports are nicer, as are the cute little ones, but I think that CDG holds up pretty well when you compare it to aiports in the same category -- JFK, LHR, LGW, ORD, LAX, FCO...
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your quick response. That was, indeed, the one of which I was thinking. Having seen this, I am sure my friends will be able to navigate their way out of the labyrinth.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM

@Kerouac - "I don't see why CDG is maligned so much."

Me either. No worse than any other huge airrport. Same with Air France constantly being run down, but if the price is comparable, I will choose it every time. Never had anything but good experiences. To each his own, I guess.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:52 PM

Kerouac: You are right that CdG does not belong in the circles of hell. No big international airport is fun. However, flying from North America, I expect Amsterdam Schipol to make life a little bit easier than CdG.
Part of my judgment is architectural and part cultural. The modernist architecture that began in the 1970s was apparently based on running rats through mazes. Yet essential post-modern services are hard to find at CdG -- locating a bank-operated ATM, for instance, can send you in circles only the rats should undergo.
The cultural aspect is that CdG expects the client to deal with its rules while AMS tries to make the rules clear.
AMS does a better job of grouping airlines so tight connections are possible, and the ancillary services are easy, especially if you want to buy tulip bulbs.
It has never won any architectural prizes, but the AMS layout makes sense -- from the point of view of the consumer rather than the management.
A couple of years ago an Air France connection from North America through CdG to Marseilles required me to sprint through two terminals. I made the connecting flight, because its departure was late. My luggage did not. In Marseilles, the luggage clerk said it happened all the time.
She was the only one, of all the airline representatives I talked to when making the booking (at that time Northwest, Delta and Air France) who knew what was actually possible.
Ten days from now I have a 90-minute connection in AMS between a trans-atlantic flight and service to England. KLM has assured me I can make it. Should I let you know if I doÉ