Reload this Page >

Kelly's Paris Trip Report -Part 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Kelly

Travelled with husband and 8 year old daughter from Ireland to Paris. Had been visiting in-laws for 5 days in Ireland. We flew Ryanair from Dublin for 30euros each plus taxes. They were extremely efficient and it was a perfect flight. We flew to Paris Beauvais and took shuttle for 10euros to Porte Maillot metro station.This took about one hour. We then took taxi to Hotel Le Loiret right across from the Louvre as we had a lot of luggage for the metro. The room was good for 120 euros and fairly large considering it's Paris. Rushed to Metro and bought carnets for the next few days. Went to Eiffel Tour at 4:30 and the line-ups were not too bad. We went to the top for 17 euros and the view was incredible. The elevators were the worst as they were packed. After coming down we then walked to Pont de l'Alma for boat tour on Bateaux Mouche. It was beautiful at 7:30 in evening. It was 10 euros each and I think my daughter's cost only 6 euros. Afterwards, we were exhausted and hungry. We took Metro back to Louvre area and had a quick dinner. There are so many places to eat that it is difficult to choose! I hadn't quite imagined so many restaurants and bistros.<BR><BR>Next morning we took L'Open Tour all day. This was perfect for a child because we had ear-phones and all the information was great. It was a beautiful day, about 18C and we just got off bus whenever we wanted. It was the hop on/off for 26 euros for adults and 12 for child.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:46 AM
mandy

Hi im considering going on the Bateau Moche tour in the evening but is the meal worth it and is it pricey. Also do you recommend going in the evening rather than during the day. I prefer the evening but think that an evening cruise may be too pricey. I cant afford that much and it would only be for 2 people including myself.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Combining the two parts of

Otherwise, they get hopelessly separated very quickly.<BR><BR>Kelly's Paris Trip Report-Part 2<BR> <BR>Author: Kelly ([email protected])<BR>Date: 10/14/2002, 05:28 am<BR><BR>Message: On our second evening we used our L'Open Tour as a taxi and went to Notre Dame area to eat. We walked around St. Michel after and it was very lively and exciting. We took Metro back to hotel, found it a bit scary at night. The following day we finished L'Open Tour of Bastille area. Got off at Hotel de Ville and walked rue Rivoli back to Louvre area. Spent afternoon at Louvre, no line-ups and had a great time. Did some shopping on St. Honare and Palais Royal then had dinner. Next day we took the Paris shuttle back to airport for 39 Euros. I had booked it with Mark via internet and it worked well. They called hotel about 15 min. before arrival. We flew from T-9 at CDG which was a small but nice terminal. The only bad thing was that we had to take a bus to the airplane and had to sit on plane for 1 1/2 hour before take-off. That was not pleasant.<BR><BR>In conclusion, Paris was magnificent!!! We loved it! We needed more time of course, three days was most certainly not enough time. Our daughter loved it also. People were friendly and helpful, the food was expensive but great. The Canadian dollar does not do well in the Euro exchange! Our favourite sights were Notre Dame and the Arc de Triumph (even 284 steps for an 8 yr old!!). Thank you to all previous posters for the wonderful info that helped in my planning. Please excuse the spelling and grammar errors as I am suffering from insomnia now!<BR>

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Vince

Kelly, thanks for the report. Here is a question: Where and when did you purchase an English-speaking L'Open Tour? Thanks.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:29 PM
answers

Mandy: The consensus is do not eat on the bateux mouche...food has reported to be mediocre, and over priced. I would suggest taking night time ride and enjoy the lights. We went on a smaller boat line,Vedettes (something). <BR>Vince the open tour busses are available at all the stops they make in PAris. I believe the tours are taped headphones(?). Check their web site.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:43 PM
oh

Just knew that Dr. Ego would be unable to resist either lecturing Kelly about her multiple postings or showing her how he thinks it should be done by doing it himself.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Kelly

Mandy- We did not do the dinner cruise part. We just went on the one hour evening cruise at 7:30. It really was lovely with the lights of the city shining on! I think I would be distracted if I were eating and not listening to the commentary of where we were going! The evening meal was about 35 Euros which isn't too bad for Paris.<BR>Vince- we just purchased our ticket from the bus driver at the bus stop. Most of the L'Open Bus Tour stops are on regular bus stops. It was very easy, we did pay cash though. I do recommend buying the 2-day for 26 Euros instead of the 1-day for 24 Euros. There are different colours for different areas so keep an eye out for that. The head-phone commentary is in English and French. Hope this helps! P.S.-That's ok about combining the report, I am new at this.