Karen Blixen house in Denmark

Apr 12th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Karen Blixen house in Denmark

I would like to visit this museum/ house in Rungsted on a day trip from Copenhagen this June. My questions are:

Has anyone been and what were your opinions?

Can I get there if I combine this with a trip to Roskilde for the Viking Museum, maybe a bus from one to the other.

Or should I go there from Copenhagen and back and do Roskilde separately?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Apr 12th, 2014, 11:46 PM

I have been to Rungsted: it's a small house in a very nice suburb of Copenhagen. If you are interested in Karen Blixen, it is worth seeing. But it's not as nice as the one in Nairobi.
I suspect you have to go back to central station to get to Roskilde but not sure, as I drive a car in Denmark which makes it easier but more expensive.
Apr 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Odin. I was thinking I would need to return to central station too but didn't know if I could get between the two by bus or taxi.
Apr 14th, 2014, 06:17 AM

You might find this link useful, click on journeyplanner. Looks like you can take the train towards Copenhagen airport (Københavns Lufthavn) and change at Østerport station, depending on which day of course.

http://www.dsb.dk/om-dsb/in-english/

It's a long distance by taxi, would you consider renting a car.
May 23rd, 2014, 02:38 AM

An attraction that connects very well with Karen Blixen is the Louisiana Museum in Humlebaek. You either go back to the station from The Karen Blixen house and take trains with change at Kokkedal or take bus 388, which runs once an hour from Karen Blixen to the Loisiana Museum. After Karen Blixen house, I atrived at Louisiana for lunch at a terrace overlooking the Oresund. One thing no guide book mentioned is that if you decide to take a 300m hike up to her grave, there is a shortcut back to the station without walking down the hill, then walk back in parallel outside the property.