Kandersteg Lodging

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kandersteg Lodging

We are going to Kandersteg June 24 and June 25. We are thinking of staying at the Hotel Ermitage. Anyone ever stay there before. Other recommendations.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Lbohannon:
I have stayed in Kandersteg, but in a vacation apartment for two weeks, not in a hotel...sorry I can't speak to this specific inquiry.
Have you checked the town's website, available in English?
www.kandersteg.ch click on english, then accomodations. An extensive list comes up with links to each hotel's color photos and descriptions.
Do you have price limitations?
The Schweizerhof and Bernerhof looked like impressive rustic-style chalets from the outside, but expensive.
Really, for two nights, you couldn't go wrong with most of the choices.
Have you been to this town before?
Don't miss the lift/or hike up to Oeschinensee-breathtaking!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been to that website, thanks. I have never been to Kandersteg. We definitely will hike/lift up to Oeschinensee. Any other suggestions? where to eat, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:11 PM

You've picked one of my favorite places - I hope you enjoy your trip. We always stay in apartments when we are there, but our friends swear by Chalet Adler. The two hotels mentioned by rach look very nice as well - I believe Backroads tours stay at the Sweizerhof and they usually pick very nice, if expensive, places.

As for restaurants, we found a favorite but I can't remeber it's name - I will check when I get home tonite and reply to you tomorrow.

Definitely take the lift up to Oescheninsee and if you like to hike, take the trail up to the Hohfruh or to FrundenHutte. Even if you go part way up to Hohfruh, there are beautiful views and a nice chalet to sit and have a drink.

There are so many hikes I'll have to check and get their names and get back to you tomorrow. Most of them are within walking distance or a short bus/train ride (less than 30 minutes).
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Since you will be staying only one night (a shame!) you will rarely find time for more than the trip to Lake Oeschinen.

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Lbohannon:
Schweizerhof was a lovely place for a meal, particularly outside, on their terrace, beside the babbling brook which runs through town-a lot of regional specialities.
There are scores of mid and lower priced restaurants as well, but I'd find a local gasthaus or stube to get a real feel for the area.
A LOVELY hike nearby, should you have the time, is in the Loetschental valley.
Take the train 11 minutes to Goppenstein, then the bus (caught directly outside the train depot) to this valley. Ask the driver for the furthest stop, nearest the Aletsch glacier. From there, you hike downhill for about 2 hours total, running into the little hamlets of Blatten,Kippel, Ried and Wiler. This was a very isolated area of Switzerland, really opened up to the world in the late ?60's after the train track was laid. There are distinctive customs and a very small regional museum in one of the towns (open only mid-June through August). If you have ever seen the grotesque carved wooden masks famous at carnival (Lent), these originated from here. Cow and goat teeth dress the faces. They adorn many homes and are meant to scare away evil spirits. Ring the bell at any of the workshops seen in the lowest (earliest towns in the valley). The owner will generally let you in to browse, and ?buy.
This hike can be done in reverse, if you want to climb uphill with a view to the Aletsch glacier the whole way.
It passes through meadows, with flowers, fresh air, streams and continuous cuckoo accompanient (the real bird).
It can be done on the valley floor, OR take a lift at the FIRST town at the entrance to the valley, for a high level hike. WEAR SUNSCREEN! Stop at an outdoor cafe for a frosty mug of suds and refresh!
Pick up the bus back to Goppenstein, and the train home from there.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody for responding. We are staying 2 nights, so we really only have one full day. We are actually heading down to Tuscany for a week (we rented a villa), so we are travelling thru Switzerland since we are flying into Zurich, it was the cheapest for airfare. But if we like Kandersteg, we will probably return for another 2 nights before heading home.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:27 PM

By far the best place to stay in Kandersteg is the Reudlihaus (SP), an adjunct to the Waldhorn. In addition to the hikes suggested, the walk to Blausee, and the lake itsself should not be overlooked. Wish I could join you.

Bill Daniel