Reload this Page >

Kalmar Bed & Breakfast, Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Leslie

I'm always looking for a bargain and found the Kalmar on the Buda side, very close to Gellert Hill, near both tram and bus stops, and also within walking distance of the downtown. This 17 room B&B is actually a villa built some 100 years ago. Saw some pictures and read reviews of this B&B at www.budapesthotels.com. Seems like a great deal 41 Euros per night, including taxes and breakfast; pay for 4 nights get the 5th free too, nets out to 33 Euros per night. <BR><BR>Anyone have any opinions specifically about this B&B and this booking agent? By the way, this booking agent responds very quickly. I sent off an email message, and I received a personal response within 10 minutes. That certainly impressed me.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Leslie

Anyone have any information on this B&B?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Andy

Hi,<BR><BR>We are going to Budapest in April. I'll try and take a look. What Kind of a bargain are you looking for. We know a place a block from the 7 bus line. Last year it was $22.00 per night for two people and breakfast. The facilities were down the hall.<BR> Andy

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Leslie

Andy, thanks for your help, but I will be in Budapest in the middle of March and back in the US before you leave for your vacation. I've already received some assurances about this B&B. And the facilities are in the room and not down the hall. Actually, the rate went down, and I'll be paying $28USD per night including taxes and breakfast.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 01:19 AM
gary

hi leslie have also booked stay in kalmar though budapest hotels.com,found service to be quick and efficent,also booked limo service from airport to hotel(why not travel in style for 17$)though them.have used sister company in prague last year, everything as booked and was better than expected.no credit card problems ect.will be in budapest first week in march,can e-mail details of hotel to you,if you are traviling later in the month

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Leslie

Gary, thanks so much. I would appreciate the details. I'm flying out of Boston on March 14th. I also booked the limousine service and used this specific booking agent in Budapest because of its relationship with the booking agent in Prague, which I also used last year.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 09:57 AM
joanne

Gary, <BR>Could you please post a report on the Kalmar to the above e-mail address when you return. Which room did you have, how was the breakfast, access to visitor sites, etc?<BR>Also any other helpful suggestions on Budapest and any trips out of the city you did.<BR>Thank you. J

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Gil

Hi Gary: I also would like to hear your thoughts on Kalmar B&B any any other advice on Budapest. I am leaving for Budapest on March 10. Also booked through Budapesthotels.com with help from Leslie. Very quick and professional service. P.S. Leslie: Hope we can still get together for that drink or dinner on the 15th or 21st.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Leslie

Gil, I arrive on the 15th, so let's make it that night, that way you can tell me all I need to know about Budapest and I'll answer any questions that you have about Prague. I'll be happy to meet you again on the 21st and you can then tell me about your adventures in Prague.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:13 AM
gary

dear all, will be returning to u.k. on march 6th,and can e-mail details of budapest/kalmar to anyone interested,will look forward to your comments on your return..gary

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:40 PM
peg

traveling to Prague April 24 thru 30 & Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna May 1/14<BR>any help on lodgings will be greatly appreciated,at above address.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Leslie

Gary emailed me yesterday and today about the Kalmar Bed & Breakfast. He could not say enough nice things about this B&B. Said his room was very large, with very expensive antiques, hair dryer in the room, great views, great breakfast, nice friendly staff (but very few English speakers), and most importantly, he said he would stay there again.<BR><BR>I'll give you my review when I return. I arrive on March 15th and have a reservation for 9 nights.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Leslie

Just wanted to let all of you know about my stay at the Kalmar B&B. It is a beautiful villa that is being remodeled by the owner Mr. Kalmar. The villa is on Gellert Hill on the Buda side of the Danube River. The outside of the villa is a mustard yellow color, that is the royal color of the Hapsburgs. The B&B is very affordable, well maintained, clean, and very charming. All of the bedrooms are decorated differently, so I can only speak about the room that I stayed in on the first floor. The bedroom is quite large, approximately 20' x 20', with a king-sized bed, enormous down pillows and duvet. The room is painted a pale yellow, and the ceiling is very high (I would say at least 15' high), and it is pale yellow with very attractive white wooden molding. One wall in the bedroom is all mirrored, and behind the mirrors is a large closet, chest of drawers, safe and a big sink. The bedroom has one night table, an etagere, two desks, assorted lamps, a chandelier, wall sconces on both sides of the bed, clock radio, telephone, and two chairs. The furniture and accessories are all antiques. There is a remote color television with cable (CNN and BBC in English) and a mini bar. The floor is new and done in granite, and there is an area rug over the granite. The windows are enormous and have beautiful rose and white drapes. Each room has its own temperature controls with both heat and air conditioning. The bathroom is modern and is all done in black and grey granite. My bathroom only had a shower, with plenty of hot water, towels and wash cloths. The ceiling of the bathroom is mirrored, and is well lit. <BR><BR>The breakfast room is like a Florida room with many plants and has a nice view of the Gellert Hotel's gorgeous outdoor pools (which is across the street) and the Liberty Bridge. Breakfast is a buffet served from 7-10am, that consists of a variety of hams and paprika salamis, hard boiled eggs (scrambled eggs to order), rustic breads, fresh fruits, juice, coffee, fresh vegetables, yogurts, and cereals.<BR><BR>The owner Mr. Kalmar, and his housekeeper, Eva, are warm friendly people, however their English is limited. Only cash is accepted for payment.<BR><BR>One of the bedrooms that is being redone has an enormous bathroom with a big sunken tub, all done in granite. One of the rooms on the third floor is an apartment that has a living room, kitchen and bedroom. I believe a family of 4 could comfortably stay in this room. Bus and tram service is only a 5-10 minute walk from the B&B.<BR><BR>I would definitely stay here again. There is not an elevator. The B&B can only be booked through the booking agent www.budapesthotels.com. The booking agent, Anita Kalman, is very friendly and can answer all of your questions. You can get to the B&B from the airport via the airport minibus (1800 forints per person), by cab, or have Anita arrange for limousine service.<BR><BR>Although, the B&B for its size is only rated a 2 star, I would say that it has all the furnishings and comforts of a 5 star hotel. There are not a lot of restaurants in the nearby area, but it is only a 2 minute ride by tram to Vaci Utca (the main shopping street) and the big shopping market. The B&B is very well located to access all of the important venues in Budapest.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:04 AM
AA

<BR>Thank you, leslie, for taking the time to write such a detailed report about the Kalmar.<BR>I am waiting to hear your impressions about Budapest, and get some good recommendations!<BR>AA

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Lynn

Your description of the Kalmar sounded so good, I wrote to the booking agent to inquire about a reservation for my trip next year. They told me that the Kalmar ownership was changing and they cannot even give me rates. Did you hear anything about that? I worry that the change might not be for the better.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Leslie

I had no idea that the Kalmar was for sale. I really find that hard to believe, only because prior to the communist regime, Mr. Kalmar's family owned the whole villa. During the communist regime, the building was taken by the communists and divided up and multiple families lived in the villa. Mr. Kalmar has had to purchase each unit in order to claim the title to the whole property. However, even if it is sold, you can't go wrong staying there. The furnishings might be different with a new owner, but the structure won't change, and the interior of the rooms is new. If you like, I will write to the booking agent and inquire for you.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Lynn

Hi Leslie:<BR><BR>Thanks for the info, you are a doll for offering to help out by contacting the booking people. I responded on the Greetings from Budapest thread the other day because you mentioned the management change there, but then I thought I would say thanks here too. I hope I am not taking your time away from writing your traveloge - I am anxiously awaiting it!