Reload this Page >

GATWICK Express with Luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:29 AM
marge

There is 2 of us and will be flying into Gatwick and staying at Thistle Marble Arch. We will have two pcs of medium size roller luggage and a carry on. Will we have too much trouble because of the luggage with the Express to Victoria Station? Haven't decided if I will use london-transport service. Any idea cost of the taxi to the hotel? <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:59 AM
mike

The luggage won't be any trouble at Gatwick and into Victoria via the Express. The whole place is well thought out for getting luggage around with lifts, etc. Small physical lift from platform onto the train of maybe one foot. Plenty of space on the train to store your luggage (and where you can keep an eye on it - although I've never heard of any trouble with that). The G. Express is very easy and quick and inexpensive. Someone else will have to answer the taxi question as I always just take the tube (with luggage, but that may be trouble if you don't want to lift the cases up and down stairs - another reason to travel light). M.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:33 AM
marge

Thanks. that puts my mind at ease. Isn't there a elevator at Victoria Station? Does any one know if there is elevator at Paddinton for our friend? If not is the walk long and many stairs. She is in her 70's.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Gregory

Hi Marge,<BR><BR>There is a elevator by the Gatwick Express platforms at London Victoria station (13 and 14) that takes you up to the taxi rank. Cost I would imagine would be around &pound;10.<BR>At Paddington, the trains and taxis leave from the same level although you have to walk past the front of the train, turn right and head to the taxi rank. The walk is not too bad ( depending on how much luggage your friend has)<BR><BR>Hope this helps

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Ben Haines

I am afraid there is no lift or elevator at Paddington nor at Victoria. Moreover, the journeys from there to Marble Arch involve changes of train. <BR><BR>Sorry<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:03 AM
elvira

You exit the Gatwick Express right into the main lobby of Victoria Station - the taxi stand is outside. With two of you, don't try to take the underground (probably a couple of line changes); grab a taxi that'll deposit you at the hotel. Sorry, no idea on the cost, but don't measure money; measure comfort, convenience and sanity.<BR><BR>The Heathrow Airport Bus stops in front of the hotel; much "cleaner" than Heathrow Express then getting a cab.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:58 AM
marge

Thanks so much and Elvria, Thanks for Heathrow info. My sister is happy to know about the airport bus.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Juju

Elvira, could you please tell me a bit more about the Gatwick bus? Does it stop at whatever hotel you are staying or just certain ones? I am staying at a B&B on Sussex Gardens Rd. near Paddington Station. Might it stop anywhere near there? I am able-bodied and can walk stairs but being jet-lagged, it might just be nice to take the slower bus and not worry about changing from train to tube, etc.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Juju

Sorry, I read and posted too quickly. You said Heathrow Bus, not Gatwick Bus.