Just Returned-London & Paris-some Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from our annual trip to London & Paris. As usual, we had Ray Skinner pick us up at Heathrow. We've gotten to know Ray over the years and it was nice to see him again and chat on the way in.
We stayed at Scala House Apt. again this year and had the same apartment we did last year. #30, 9th floor with views toward the British Museum, St. Paul's dome and Canary Wharf. To the south was the London Eye, Big Ben, etc. Our apt. was fine, 2 bedrooms (one very small and great for storing luggage, the other had king size bed). Full kitchen with dishes, etc. for 6 people. The staff at Scala House is very nice and the owners, Ken and Anna Palos could not be nicer. If anyone wants more detailed info about Scala House let me know.

I'm not going to go into details about each and every thing we did but we had a great time once again and the weather was really great. For those who ask questions about weather - you never know!! We had snow flurries (on April 10 for about 15 min) and hot weather for about 5 days .. by hot I mean 70 and up. We spend a day at Arundel Castle (in Sussex) and it was in the 80's. The parks all over London were full of people basking in the sun .. office workers were sitting on every available grassy spot in town eating their lunches, locals had on tank tops and shorts in some places. We didn't even need sweaters when we were out and about! First time ever (we always go in April) we did not need to take a sweater/jacket to the theater, it was still pleasant out at 11 pm.

Getting back to Arundel, I recommend it as a day trip highly. Cute town, lovely castle, the River Arun is nice to walk along and it's about 90 min. from Victoria Station.

We saw Mamma Mia again (as wonderful as ever and Louise Plowright is as good as ever as "Donna&quot, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (it was terrific, special effects super!), Arsenic and Old Lace (an oldie but a goodie and hilarious - Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) stars, and Ragtime (good, but not one I'd rush back to see - Maria Friedman plays a lead role and she is excellent). All tickets were bought via TicketmasterUK and all seats were in the first 3 rows of Stalls (Orchestra).

I'll post another entry on further info.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Who do you use to book your London and paris trips. Also what kind of costs can i look forward to when booking. nick
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I make all the arrangements myself, contacting the apartment directly (we know them since we've stayed before, but they have a good website as well) and I also know Ray Skinner so making arrangements with him is a breeze (again, he has a good website too).

For day trips I simply decide what we want to do (whether it be Arundel as this trip, or Cambridge, Warwick Castle, Canterbury, etc. that we've done on other trips) and look at the map and see distance from London if I don't know. Then go to the website of the town/castle/whatever and see what it says. Most times it will tell you "90 min. from London Waterloo Station" for example. You can also go to www.trainline.com and get schedules, prices to go anyplace in the UK. We normally just go to the train station the morning we want to go and get a "cheap day return" ticket (round trip is called return). In some instances such as Warwick CAstle, Windsor Castle and Hampton Court you can buy a combination castle admission and train ticket at the same time at the train station and save a little money. It's all really pretty simple.

We also buy 7 day travel passes while in London for tube/bus use (you can also get them for weekends, or just days). Most sights tourists want at in Zone 1, possibly Zone 2. If you buy a train ticket to Windsor Castle (for instance) and you have a Zone 2 travelcard they will only charge you the fare from Zone 3 out there. If you don't tellthem this you will get charged the full amount.

As for Paris, again I booked everything myself (as I always do) using the web. We stayed at a marvelous Holiday Inn and that was done via website (also can do with 800 number). Eurostar tickets were bought ahead of time from their website in the US (we did have to pay a delivery fee of $11 but it was worth it to have them ahead).

Without the web I'd be lost!! It's all so easy to do tho, you can plan at your own pace and if you are not sure of something just ask on this forum, someone here always knows the answer!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:08 PM

We did that 7-day tube/bus pass last year...you need to have a photo of yourself which is laminated to the pass right then and there. You can use any recent snapshot. Your head should be about "nickle" size.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:42 AM

Who's Ray Skinner? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to my hotel, Marriott Park Lane, from the airport, Healthrow.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:05 PM

Ray Skinner

mailto:[email protected]
Tel: +44 (0)20 8897 8221
Cellphone: 07970 577 768
http://www.london-transfers.com

Ray is the London Transfer man who picks you up at the airport and carts you in to London.....