Just returned from UK.....any questions?

Mar 24th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Gomer

Just returned from UK.....any questions?

Hi all,
I just returned from a week in London and will do my best to answer questions anyone has.
Aloha,
Gomer

Mar 24th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Ann

Hi,
We will be going to London in May. Do you have any suggestions on reasonably priced restaurants and pubs?
Thanks

Mar 24th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Gomer

Aloha Ann,
I asked the reception staff at both my hotels for recommendations on a local pub. While staying at the Best Western in Paddington, I liked The Mitre Pub (at the corner of Craven Terrace and Lancaster Gate)--friendly staff, lots of locals, and it serves hot meals. I also ate at The Swan (Bayswater Road and Gloucester Terrace, across the street from Hyde Park) and didn't think the food or atmosphere was as friendly as The Mitre. While staying in Kings Cross, I ate at the Golden Lion (Kings Cross Road and Britannia Street(?)--near the Thistle Kings Cross Hotel) and found the atmosphere there very friendly. They serve hot meals weeknights, but I don't think food is served on weekends (at least not on Sunday night). Hope this helps....
Aloha
Gomer

Mar 24th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Wendy

Try Cafe du Jardin and Mela (Indian) in Covent Garden area. Mela serves delicious Indian in a great atmosphere..very bright, colorful. Also, try this web site for more info.

www.squaremeal.co.uk.

I've been in London for a month on business and this site has helped me a lot.

Good luck!

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:25 PM
john

Hi, Gomer, I'm trying to work out how much I can expect to pay for a moderate type of meal in London, i.e. lunch/dinner. Any Information, Please. John.

Mar 30th, 2001, 12:26 AM
Karen

Hi John
You can expect to pay between 4-7 on average for a hot meal in a pub or wine bar (lunch or dinner). Some pubs and bars will also sell sandwiches with all the trimmings (e.g. salad or chips) at lunch time, you would expect to pay around 4 for this.
In a restaurant 7-12 is average for a main course, so for a 3 course meal with wine you would expect to pay around 20-30.
Of course there are cheaper places and more expensive places, but I find the above prices to be the average.
Hope that helps.
Karen

May 2nd, 2001, 06:12 PM
Pamela

Hello Gomer!
How did you like the Best Western Paddington? How is the neighbourhood?
We are staying there this summer and are hoping for clean and reasonably quiet? Let me know what you think! Thanks again!! Pamela

May 2nd, 2001, 06:25 PM
Peri

Aloha Gomer:
My fiance and I are thinking about eloping in London next spring. I have an e-mail pal in London (Wandworth) who's willing to put us up for a week, but we would also like the chance to be ALONE.
We will have to travel economy class and wonder what places to stay that are clean, pleasant, and includes a private bathroom.

Any advice from UK visitors would be welcome.
Thanks

May 2nd, 2001, 09:32 PM
Ben Haines

I'm taking the liberty of copying to you by e-mail notes I keep on disc about pub and other meals here that I like. Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines