Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Duxford: Imperial War Museum, American Air Museum

May 1st, 2001, 12:48 PM
Jack

I'm planning to be in London mid-May. High on my list is a visit to the air museums in Duxford. Do I need to rent a car to get there, or are day trips via rail or bus available? If so, who do I contact?

I can't seem to find this information in any of the travel guides.

Your advice is appreciated.

May 1st, 2001, 01:02 PM
elvira

Just so happens that I recently did the research on war/air museums in England for an upcoming foray:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/index.htm

May 1st, 2001, 01:03 PM
Sheila

I've driven past many times. Since I didn't know the answer I looked it up. You'll find what you want on

http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford.htm

I'm not beinga smart ass; I just think that UK based search engines seem to find UK sites much easier

May 1st, 2001, 01:05 PM
Roger

Try www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/duxinfo.htm. this will take you directly to site you are asking for. Also, closer to London is the RAF museum which may prove to be similar. You can get to the RAF museum by the tube to Colindale if memory serves correct. Let me know if I can be of futher help.

May 1st, 2001, 01:10 PM
Ben Haines

It's odd, but the site fails to mention the direct morning bus from Aldgate to Duxford. The best way to get times and details is to phone the Imperial War Museum in North Lambeth once you're in London.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to England.

Ben Haines, London

May 1st, 2001, 01:53 PM
Beth Anderson

Marna,

When will you be in London? I will be there next week for about 9 days...

Beth

May 1st, 2001, 04:50 PM
Jack

The web sites are exactly what I was looking for....obviously I must be using an inferior search engine!

Thank you one and all for your assistance.

Before (and after) posting my my original note I spent some time perusing Fedor's, what a great web site for travelers. To Ben Haines: in the space of a few hours I've learned a great deal about London from your prior postings...you are a real asset to folks like me that are just now reaching a point in life that allows travelling outside the USA. Look out London, here comes Jack from Nebraska!

Postscript: I visited England back in 1962 courtesy of Uncle Sam while in the US Air Force. We flew from Lajes Field in the Azores to Brize Norton (sp?) RAFB in Oxford for a few days R&R. Managed to hop a train to Paddington Station (the train was a coal-burner) and get a small taste of the great city, over a short two-day period. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a difference 40 years has made.

Again, thank you one and all.

May 1st, 2001, 05:33 PM
DDiver

I went to England last year specifically to visit Duxford. It is outstanding. Aviation enthusiasts can easily spend a full day or two. The aviation restoration hangars are fascinating and not to be missed. We had the opportunity to speak with several veteran pilots who had flown Mustang support from Duxford in WW2 in that several units were having reunions in England(some for the final time).The easiest way to get there is to take the early morning trains from Kings Cross station to Cambridge. Outside of the station a bus with an airplane painted on the side will come by about every hour and take you directly to Duxford, abour 20 minutes. It is very easy to get to with very smooth connections.All aviation history enthusiasts will find this visit memorable.

May 2nd, 2001, 02:38 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I thought I might ring the coach station. There's just one bus a day, from Victoria Coach station (15 minutes's walk south of Victoria station) at 0930, arriving at Duxford at 1100, and leaving Duxford at 1605. If you can reach Victoria in time, that's your quickest route. I'm afraid the coach no longer stops in Aldgate.

I'm glad my postings were useful. Your kind words lead me to think it may be worth saying that I keep on disc some notes on London. In case they help, I am taking the liberty of sending them now. Please tell me if they won't unpack, and I'll send them plain text.

From 1962 to now is quite a while. We've changed, and I think for the better. Steam engines are now museum pieces, lovingly preserved, and taken for occasional outings. All other coal-burning is banned, and I think you'll find our streets less grey (and much better lit). On the other hand, we have more street litter than then we did. The biggest change is in our culture. We now have many cultures, races, religions, languages and kinds of music and food, and we Londoners move happily around the rich mixture, choosing what we like. I myself am very partial to a good curry.

Again, thank you. Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines

May 2nd, 2001, 02:50 AM
Ben Haines

For some reason, the e-mail version of my last message, with the attachments, failed to get through. If you'd like to see them, could you kindly e-mail me, and I'll reply by e-mail, with attachments.

Ben Haines

May 2nd, 2001, 05:11 AM
Jack

To DDiver and Ben Haines, thank you for the explicit London-to-Duxford transport instructions.

To Ben Haines:

You've caught me in an awkward situation.... your kind offer to forward your disc notes didn't work because I didn't post my real e-mail address, in an attempt to remain somewhat anonymous. My apologies. I fear that every travel/lodging/car rental/etc organization would be monitoring this site gathering addresses. Any thoughts or experience on whether my fears are valid?

Jack

May 2nd, 2001, 09:55 PM
Ben Haines

I have no spam at all these days, and as you see always publish my e-mail address. I used to get spam on my old address, and I deleted it without reading. Spam is very obvious.

Now let's try the attachments. Please tell me if you need any as plain text.

And please write again if I can help further.