Reload this Page >

Just returned from six weeks in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Pam

and we had a great time. Flew to Milan and then took trains to Levanto, Sorrento (loved the Hotel El Nido), Rome(loved the Hotel Pensione Italia), Terni where we picked up car to go to the highlight place of our trip - an agritourism farm called Le Casette. I can't say enough about how welcomed we felt there. Dropped the car off in Siena, took train to Florence, and then to Venice. <BR><BR>I could write pages and pages of experiences but won't tire you all. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Pam

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:43 AM
GGinSF

You mention taking the train from Siena to Florence. I've heard that bus is more direct and faster for that trip but haven't done it myself (I will in May). Why did you choose train for that trip? How long did it take?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Pam

We had read that the bus was easier, too. But we just took a taxi from our hotel to the train station (cost about 7 euros). We took the 11:00 am regional train to Florence and it took about two hours. No problem.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:03 AM
honey

The big difference between the bus and train from Florence to Siena is where you end up in Siena. The bus lets you off within walking distance of the center. The train station is a ways out and you have to take a bus or taxi in. We did that and couldn't find a taxi, had to dash back in the station and buy bus tickets then just guessed on where to get off the bus.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:04 AM
honey

Oh, sorry, I see now that your question was about going the other way. Like the other poster said, no problem getting a taxi to the train station in Siena. In Florence, the bus and train stations are right next to each other.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Jan Smith

Hello Pam,<BR><BR>Thanks for posting your trip experience. How far was the agritourism farm you stayed at from Florence and does the farm have a web site? Can you share information on the costs?<BR><BR>Thanks much.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Pam

Le Casette/Pomurlo Vecchio (they have two places)are quite near Orvieto. I can't remember how far that is from Florence. Search on "Pomurlo Vecchio" and you will find their website. Just a wonderful place with just wonderful hosts.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:36 PM
monica

How did you like Sorrento as a base on the Amalfi coast ???

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:05 PM

Interested!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Pam

We really liked Sorrento alot. And we thought it was the perfect place to explore the area. Took the train into Naples one day to see the archeological museum. Went to Pompeii. Took a local bus down the Amalfi coast. Stopped at Amalfi. (Went to a paper museum.) Had lunch in Ravello. (Went to Villa Cimbrone - a beautiful garden.) <BR><BR>As I mentioned, we stayed in the wonderful Hotel El Nido outside of Sorrento. They have a van which takes guests back and forth into and out of Sorrento every day.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:46 AM
mary

topping it!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Tippy

Pam - could elaborate on Le Casette? Their website isn't too descriptive. <BR><BR>How many apts/rooms?<BR>Breakfast included?<BR>Prepay - credits cards?<BR>How close to the autostrada?<BR><BR>Could you describe your room in a little detail please? Any details are much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 11:26 PM
orla

Hi Pam<BR>How do you get information on the agritourism in the Positano/Amalfi areas in the Campania Region, Italy.<BR>Did Cassete have a pool ? And whats the address to get information about your highlight - la Cassette<BR>Thanks<BR>Orla

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Pam

Le Casette and their sister 'castle', Pomurlo Vecchio, have a variety of different rooms. Our room had a king sized bed (two twins pushed together - as everywhere we stayed in Italy), an armoir, a small refrigerator, Italian coffee maker, jams, toast, cookies etc. for breakfast. The bathroom had a nice shower plus the usual stuff. The whole farm has been extremely well maintained. We're talking alot of pride here.<BR><BR>It is very close to the autostrada with the main entrance at Orvieto. I don't remember how we paid them.<BR><BR>We saw the 'apartment' rooms at Pomurlo Vecchio and they are quite large, plenty of room for a family. <BR><BR>At Le Casette, there is a beautiful panoramic view of the countryside. There is also a swimming pool, tennis court and all the space in the world to hike or walk. <BR><BR>We ate at their dining room every night and the food was very good. Wine was included with the meal. (They make their own.) <BR><BR>You can email them at [email protected] for more information. Address it to Daniela.<BR><BR>As to how to find other agritourism places, searching on the web is my only suggestion. We tried to find places to stay that other people had recommended. And that didn't always work out, I'm afraid.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Sandi

Pam: Could you tell us the cost of Le Casette/Purlmo Vecchio? Thanks. Sandi.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:50 PM
topper

topper

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Pam

Personally, I can only speak to the cost at Le Casette. We were there in late March and for our double room with bath - breakfast and dinner included, we paid one hundred euros per night. You would have to check for yourself. When would you want to go and what kind of accomodations would you need. We thought we was an excellent value.