Just returned from Scotland

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Island Girl

Just returned from Scotland

We just returned from a 2 week trip from Scotland that was fabulous. We covered a lot of ground in that time, and loved it all! If anyone is looking for tips or advice, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Susan Park

I would be interested in the few things at the top of your list to see and do. Also, I'm into good restaurants. Thank you.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Island Girl

The highlights for us were Edinburgh and the castle, the Orkney Islands - particularly the "Wildabout Orkney" tour, which took us to 6 of the major prehistoric and historic sites on the main island - and the Isle of Skye. Our hosts at Heronfield B&B were fantastic, the locals are very friendly, and the scenery is excellent. I would also say that the island of Staffa, which we saw as part of a boat tour from Oban, was one of the high points.

As to restaurants, I'm sorry but I don't think I can help. We were on a really tight budget, so economy is all I know .

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Eric

Did you visit Dumfries & Galloway or the Borders? What did you like/dislike about them? Thanks

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Island Girl

Hi there: As to the Borders area, we didn't get to cover as much ground there as we would have liked. We drove down to Hadrian's Wall, and stopped at Jedburgh Abby on the way. We would like to have spent more time in that area because the countryside was very nice, and the abby we did see was gorgeous. This area is definitely on our list for next time.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 11:34 AM
judy

Hi Island Girl, I love your name, by the way. We are going to Sctland next Aug 9 for a week. Three nights in Edinburgh are definite. What else would you recommend? Thanks so much, Judy

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Island Girl

Hi Judy,

Three days in Edinburgh is lots. If I were you, with 7 days, I would try to get to one of the Western islands, whether it's Skye, Mull, or another. We used the train, but I've been told that the drive north to Skye through Glencoe is fantastic. We didn't get to see Glencoe but I've heard it's great. Also, Stirling and St Andrew's are not to be missed. There's a lot more to Stirling than I expected, especially if you're into Scottish history (the castle, Bannockburn, Wallace Monument). I would not make the effort to go all the way to Inverness; it's a lovely town but not a tourist destination (we felt it would be a great place to live though).

There's a lady on this site named Sheila who is from Scotland and seems to have a great knowledge of her country, so if you post a thread to her I'm sure you'll get lots of detail. I hope my info helps, and if you've got more questions, just ask!