Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Approx. tolls from Florence to Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 07:23 AM
sandi

Leaving 2 weeks from today and we're during a "once over" on the budget. My last driving experience was thru Tuscany, so I don't have real good idea on how much the toll might be for a long stretch of Autostrada like this one. Any info would be great to ensure we're budgeting enough! Thanks.

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Sylvia

i'm guessing around $10-$12 dollars one-way. do you have much experience with the toll booths there? write me if you have questions. i just returned from six months in umbria.

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 08:06 AM
sandi

sylvia, I just sent you an email. Thanks, Sandi <BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Diane

I will be driving in Italy for a few days. What do we need to know about the toll booths??

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Rose

Diane, the highways in Italy are privatised, and are paid for by tolls. <BR> <BR>It's been a while for me, but I think it's 8,000 to 10,000 lire per toll. Keep some cash on hand for them. Have a great trip!

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Paulo

The total you should be paying in toll (on A1 and then on A3) is about Lit 45,000 (US$23?). You'll spend more than that with fuel ... 520km. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 04:06 PM
vance

Sandi, <BR> I found a great web site at www.shellgeostar.com which has routeplanners and toll cost calculators. I used it a great deal before going to France/Italy last fall. I also found other sites but did not bookmark them. <BR>Try doing a search for European Routeplanners through any search engine.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 06:05 PM
wes fowler

Sandi and Diane, <BR>Check the website www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/index.html a highly informative site underwritten by Renault. <BR>Check "Italy" under countries and you'll find toll rates, method of payment including the Viacard; rules of parking (learn what "sosta vietata" means)and driving; info ranging from who to contact if your car breaks down or is involved in an accident to the times of BBC English language broadcasts and the frequency to dial on the car radio.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 06:12 PM
wes fowler

My instructions re the website were a bit sketchy. Once on the home page, click on "online guide" in the left hand frame, then on the next screen "Italy" in the column captioned countries. Look to for the sections captioned "road signs and signals" for graphic depictions of European signage and "phrase book" for Italian phrases and sentences of use to the driver.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 04:54 AM
mustangs81

Sylvia: I didn't want to e-mail you without an invitation, so here's my public question. I recall two years ago having some frustration when going through a very large toll plaza. It took us quite awhile to figure out how to use it and there wasn't an attendent at that booth. I can't remember the problem but after the fact we felt real sheepish. We will be going from Rome to Florence and I would hate to encounter that problem again and hold the line up. Do you recall anything funky (from a USA perspective)? <BR> <BR>Wes: Thank you for the site.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Sylvia

wes, <BR>i don't have a great deal of experience with toll booths, but some recent ones. i somehow got into a lane with no attendant and no place to put in lire. it only took credit cards. it might have been a telepass card only lane, i don't recall. also, i found that there are some toll booths where you don't have to present a ticket (slight panick on approaching this booth empty-handed), you just pay a few lire. please feel free to e-mail me if you have other questions. <BR>-sylvia

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Diane

do I need a special License or does my US license and a passport work? Thanks for the other help!!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Art

Diane, your US license will work, but I always have a current international license because it has translations into several languages. You can get them at any AAA club for approx $12.00. <BR>