Reload this Page >

Just Returned from Paris any ?'s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Jamie

Returned yesterday from 1 week in Paris it was great had the best time ever. If anyone has any ?'s I'll try and help!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Wendy

Jamie, How about a little report on the highlights of your trip??

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 02:53 PM
xx

Did you meet a waiter after his shift?

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Joyce

Jamie, what was the weather like? Where did you stay? What sites did you see?<BR><BR>xxxx - Just out of curiosity why did you ask Jamie if she met a waiter at the end of her shift? Is that the thing to do in Paris? I've never been there and I'm going next month. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Patrick

Joyce, there have been some reacent posts about women trying to find waiters they had had recent contact with, and about desires to meet a waiter. Nothing of importance. In fact, I'm beginning to learn if I want to save time I just skip over every post that begins with the name xx.<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 06:36 AM
joyce

Patrick, from a woman's point of view the prospects of trying to find a waiter a that she had met or in meeting one sounds very romantic, even if for a short duration of time.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Shelley

I am going to Paris in about a week and a half. How did you find the weather? What were some great stores and sites to visit, and what about a great restuarant?<BR>Also conflicted on what clothes to bring. What did people wear in paris, what is the latest trend? I know I am not going to paris to look good I am going to travel, but I am young and foolish and still believe I can look trendy and stylish and still be comfortable.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Betsy

Hi Shel<BR><BR>Just returned from Paris. It seems that no self-respecting Parisian woman leaves her home without a scarf beautifully entwined around her neck or shoulders. Wait until you get there, observe the scarf technique and head to a store to buy some while you are there. They are available everywhere in all price ranges and won't take up much space in your luggage on the trip home. Also saw lots of younger women in jeans (yes, jeans) worn with a beautifully tailored blazer. Add a nice scarf to that for a knock-out look.<BR><BR>Bon voyage

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Gretchen

And not just the women!! Men and children wear scarves also. And the cutest thing to me was shopping for our grandson--was looking at a cute little hat and there, firmly tied to it with thelittle nylon tag, was the matching scarf. Scarves are de rigeur!

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Jamie

Had a wonderful time, saw all the main things Eiffel, Louve, Notre Dame, we went to Versailles one day it was beautiful, saw Moulin Rouge it was great, did the Seine River Cruise so much to see ate at some good restaurants, Italian, French. Went to Rue Cler Market everyday it was so good..<BR>The weather was around high 50's to low 60's during the day and cool at night light rain a couple of days be sure to take umbrella..we stayed in the 7th at Eiffel Rive Gauche it was a small place but very clean and very friendly desk clerks.<BR><BR>People wear everything from jeans to leather everything. They dress just like regular people dress here in the USA...

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Jamie

The French restaurant was Thoumieux, very good food, reservations needed.<BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Shelley

Thanks for the advice, I have been reading tat scarves were all the rage in Paris. Never really liked wearing scarves much, I don't know how to wear them properly,and I am not much of a fan of things around my neck. Now when you say scarves they are the silk dressy kind, right? See how green I am. I even consider myself to be somewhat trendy and a good dresser. I guess it will be fun to try a new style. I don't even own one scarf...I guess I will need to go shopping.....geez I'll have to twist my rubber arm.<BR>Thanks for the advice!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Betsy

American women are not as accustomed to wearing scarves as are European women, who must wear them from birth! I observed for several days before joining in by buying myself a new scarf. You'll see all fabrics and styles. The most elegant seems to be the long pashmina, which is available in lots of different fabrics, from cashmere to rayon. There's a certain way they are usually tied that I could never explain here, but you might ask the sales person to show you. Another style, which is also elegant and pretty, is putting two light-weight subtly different colored scarves together and tying them as one. Just look around and you'll find what's right for you. Have fun!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:55 AM
minbrooklyn

Jamie, how did you enjoy staying in the 7th? would you pick the same neighborhood for your next trip? Glad to hear you had a good time, sounds great. I'm hoping to go in May.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Karen

Shelly I've never been a scarf person either but when I was in Paris it was colder than I had anticipated and bought a few scarves. The saleslady showed me a few ways on how to wear it. One way is to fold the scarf in half, put it around your neck then take the end that is open and pull it through the looped end. <BR><BR>If you experience cold weather you will welcome the scarf because I too don't care for things around my neck.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Jamie

minibrooklyn: Yes, I would stay in the 7th again it was a very good location..

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Shelley

I am definitely willing to try new htings, so maybe I will use it as a good excuse to buy a nice scarf in Paris. Thanks for the advice, I will return home with a new trend....thanks!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Nick

I am taking my family, including 4 children, for a week in Feb. It sounds like jeans and turtle neck shirts will work along with good walking shoes. We are thinking about a day trip to London and maybe Euro Disney. Any recommendations? Also, did you use Euros there? Did you wait to exchange currency and last but not least how did you get around? Thanks

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Jamie

Nick: yes, jeans and turtle neck shirts will be just fine in Paris. I wore tennis shoes when we walked which was about an average of 7 miles per day, so you need comfortable shoes regardless if there in style or not! London is a bit far by train I can't remember the exact distance, Euro Disney is close. The Euro isn't being used until next year, they are still using Francs. We exchanged some money at American Express Travel Services before we left and exchanged rest there. We found places that charged no commission you just have to be careful as not to get ripped off, know kinda what the exchange rate is before you go. I printed a exchange rate paper before we left to use as a guide. We walked everywhere except the day we went to Versailles we took the train. Never took the metro we walked everywhere. You'll have a wonderful time. I loved Paris this was our first time and for sure not our last...