Just returned from Italy yesterday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from a wonderful 10 days in Rome, Florence and Venice yesterday. What an amazing experience! We were very sceptical about going considering the current geo-political situation, but are very glad we took the plunge. Thanks to all who encouraged us to go, and my advice to anyone else with similar concerns is go and have a wonderful time. I would also be more than happy to answer any questions for anyone else planning their trip currently<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:28 PM

Hi,<BR>We're you the other couple on your 20th anniversary, as we were? I remember another couple planning for March as well, and we got back last week. Glad everything worked out so well for you! We felt very fortunate to have gone, as well.<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

No, we were on our 10th anniversary.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Hello Tenn, I know this is the nonstop topic on this board but I was just wondering how you were treated? Another traveler said that they were asked many times (pre war) about their political views. Were there many other Americans? I just need to keep reassuring my inlaws as they are a little hesitant when traveling with us in May. Glad to hear you had a terrific time! We will be hitting the places you've visited also, can't wait = )
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

The only conversation we had about political views during our trip was with a wonderful british couple over some evening cappucino in the hotel bar. We were really never confronted with the subject from any italians, and that was a fear that I had going into it. Tell them to go and have a wonderful time, or else spend the rest of their lives regretting it! LOL
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Hello Tenncarguy, What hotels did you stay at? What were your favorite restaurants? (or are there any to avoid?).
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info - just as I suspected! Thanks so much. And ditto what JenniferW said, what were your favorite eats in the cities? I like lots of sauce = )
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:33 PM
jor

So glad you met a wonderful british couple on your 30th anniversary. Thank God for couples :- )
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:50 PM

I'm going to Rome and Florence in two weeks. Thanks for the reassurance that Americans will be well received. Both me and my friend are blonds and I've already been warned we will stand out. <BR>Restaurant suggestions for both cities would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

as for restaurant suggestions, we had a wonderful time at isolla della pizza in rome, not a romantic place by any means, load and very busy, but a must experience in my opinion if you want an interesting overview of italian food. Our waiter spoke very little english, so communication was a small problem since I speak even less Italian, but the most enthusiastic and friendly service I have ever had anywhere. We sat down and they brought us no less than 8 plates of appetizers for just 2 people, apparently their specialty. Wonderful experience, good food, fair price. honorable mention to myosotis in Rome as well. In Florence, Cafe Astor across the street from Duomo was wonderful as well.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:59 AM

We will be in those areas in just a week and I would like to know how the weather was, how many tourists were around this time of year, &amp; how safe you felt regarding theft. Thanks!!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:02 AM

Tenncarguy,<BR>So glad you had a great time and returned safely! are Rome/Florence crowded? WE were hoping for relatively crowds-free experience (we're leaving on Sunday). How was the weather? I don't know whether I should take windbreakers and heavy sweaters or maybe something lighter (shorts? wishful thinking...)<BR>Thanks!<BR>Katie
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:23 AM

Tenn: Where did you stay in Venice?Price? Please tell us about it.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

AKIN-KATIE: Weather was quite cold the first 8 days, with the wind chill being the worst problem. We had to wear sweaters and jackets all day, and night was very cold. The last 2 days warmed up quite a bit, and we had to shed the jackets by 11:00 am and the days were beautiful. I would assume in another week or so the weather should be quite pleasant as it was our last two days, but check weather report just before you go.<BR>katie-as far as the crowds go, i guess that is a relative question, yes, they were crowded, but I am sure not as crowded as they could be. We only waited in line a few times for museums and our longest wait was probably 15 minutes at the most, so not bad. As far as theft goes, be careful, especially at Termini in Rome. We bought a weekly subway/bus ticket and rode the subways quite frequently in Rome. The second morning when we were packing up to go, my wife noticed that her pack had been sliced open with a razor. Fortunately the only thing in it was a few maps and travel books, but was very unnerving anyway. We spent the rest of the times on the subway and in the station looking over our shoulders constantly.<BR>John- as far as our hotel in Venice, we stayed at the Grand Hotel Principe. The hotel was beautiful, the service gracious, the breakfasts were the best of the 3 hotels we stayed in in Italy, and I dont know exactly what we paid for the room since my travel agent quoted the price for the trip to us as a total package and did not break it down, but they list prices on their website in the 100-150 euro per night range which for venice is very very cheap and in my view, worth twice that. The only downside is that the hotel is located at the top of the grand canal about a block from the train station, which was wonderful as far as getting our arriving and departing since we came in and left on the train, but is a little far from st marks. It was not a problem for us but might have been for some people.<BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:07 AM

Tenn: Thanks. jc
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Thanks for your report. <BR><BR> My wife and I expect that we will have about a 40 min wait between trains at Roma Termini.<BR><BR> Are there places to have a cup of coffee without having to worry that our luggage will be stolen?
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:16 PM

Ira<BR>I would not leave your luggage alone or unsupervised! I had a minor bad experience in Termini last month when I stopped walking briefly on the moving walkway and a young girl came up behind me and opened the zipper of my shoulder bag. It was a good heads up for me - savvy New Yorker that I think I am! Definitely keep your bags with you - there are several places to eat there and many shops as well. Have a great trip!<BR>Mara
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi Mara,<BR> Thanks for the post. I feel better.