Just returned from Athens/Greece

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Don

Just returned from Athens/Greece

We just returned from Greece (three days in Athens). Any questions? <BR>Don

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:22 AM
abc

Sure. How was it? Where did you stay? How was the weather? How was the food? What sightseeing did you do? What did you bring me? Welcome back!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Meloday

Thanks for this posting! I am wondering some of the following questionsafety in Athens and traveling countryside;smog/pollution in athens for someone who has bronchial problems;friendliness of Greeks towards americans these days,etc. I would love to go back with my family but have heard various things in the past years and would love some clarification. thanks!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Monica

Hello Don! I’m going to Greece in May (Athens for a couple of nights then out to the islands). Would love to hear where you stayed (I’m booked at the Hotel Attalos in Athens – and no other hotels have been reserved yet), restaurants you enjoyed, and if you visited the islands, which ones, and how you got around. Thanks!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Don

I have had people tell me one day in Athens was all they could take. After three days in and around Athens, we only scratched the surface. We stayed at the Athens Hilton - a great view of the acropolis from our room. The balcony served us well for wine and cheese gatherings before sunset. The weather was great - 70's for three days, and then in the 60's as we traveled to Delphi and Meteora. I am told this was somewhat unusual for the beginning of March. <BR>Two major problems... the traffic and the pollution. Even at three in the morning the city is busy. Athens is snuggled between mountains, and the pollution is bad. It didn't permit us to open the sliding balcony door at night (burning eyes and sulpher smell.) <BR>Outside opf Athens, the air was fine! <BR>We had no concern about safety - any more than in any American city of 5 1/2 million. The crowds are heavy in the Plaka and Monasteraki, so you have to watch your purse/wallet. Very few gypsies, but they are out there. The people were more than gracious, the food at tavernas great. There does appear to be few beef dishes at this time, and I understand it may be because of the mad cow scare in Europe. We didn't eat at any formal restaurants other than the Hilton. <BR>Museums... the Byzantine, Archeological, and Cycladic Museums, especially the Cycladic. What an unexpected gem!! Check it out on the web. You shouldn't miss it. <BR>Walk down to see the changing of the guards at the President's home or Parliament building (on the hour), then to the Plaka and Monasteraki areas. Excellent. Early in the morning (before the crowds), see the Parthenon; spend some leisurely time in the Acropolis Museum behind the Parthenon. <BR> <BR>We drove to the acheological ruins in Corinth, and then up to Delphi; the Charioteer in the Delphi museum is worth the price itself. A highlight in northern Greece: Vergina and the Phillip II museum in his earthen tomb itself. Philip II bones lie in a gold sarcophagus (flesh box). Breath-taking, amazing and exciting! <BR>A few years back we visited the islands of Mykinos, Rhodes, and Patmos. We also visited Ephesis via Kusadasi, Turkey. Ephesis has the best archeological site anywhere. If you go to Greece, try to do the Islands. We walked the islands and took the optional tours offered on board ship. <BR>Would I go back again? Would next week be too early? <BR>As to what I brought XYZ? That's odd, that question has been asked of me about five times today. <BR>Specific questions? E-mail me directly. <BR>Don

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:31 AM
ebb

Thanks for the update. A large group of us is going in September and your info on Athens was timely. <BR> <BR>It seems the trick is to go off the beaten path and find more quaint/quieter areas that are not so well-travelled. <BR> <BR>We have only a few days in Athens before heading to some islands, but will take into account your references for museums. Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Ess

Thanks, Don. I'm glad you had a great time. This sure beats reading about the latest fashion crisis!