Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from 3 weeks all over Italy

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Tami

Due to limited space, this is brief. Feel free to email me if you have questions. Spent 4 days in Rome at the Santa Chiara. It was great - location, quiet, price, size, etc. We stayed at the Marmorata on the Amalfi coast. We loved it - reasonable price, beautiful views, great staff, etc. Venice and Florence were already very busy. Stayed in a small town, Vinci (where Leonardo was born) 20 min. outside Florence. We found an agritourism place by chance, Casa Nuova (I have the website address). We had our own little house. It was wonderful (after 2 weeks in hotels) - cheap, very quiet, large, and the view of Tuscany was amazing. Vinci was a lot of fun and we enjoyed being outside Florence for a few days. Stayed at the Adriatico in Florence one night and it was very nice and reasonable. If you go to Italy without reservations, get an Italian Best Western or Holiday Inn directory of hotels. I hated to go with a chain hotel but the Best Western book came in handy. We could call one number for any city. They got us reservations when IT places said there were "no rooms" in Florence and one day's notice for Rome for our last 2 nights before flying out. I have more info but those are the highlights. We had a great time. All the Italians were wonderful - we speak a tiny, tiny bit of Italian and use a book the rest of the time. As soon as they saw us trying to speak the language we were treated just wonderfully. It made a big difference. If you're going - you'll have a great time!

Jun 13th, 2001, 05:57 PM
ingrid

Hi tami,
I have an 11-year old who's very much interested in science. Do you think the Leonardo da Vinci museum might be worthwhile for him?
Thanks!

Jun 14th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Tami

Yes, I think he would love the museum. My son is 22 and has always been a fan of Leonardo da Vinci. We went to the museum and all 3 of us loved it. They had copies of all of his designs and then a model of each item. It was amazing. He had drawn (created) the bicycle, helicopter, underwater breathing apparatus, scuba gear, piston engine, and quite a bit of military equipment for battle, etc. He really was a genius. I'm sure your son would love to see the models and drawings. They also have a short (20 minute) film about his life. Your son may or may not enjoy that but we found it interesting.

As I indicated in my original post, the town of Vinci is about 20 miles outside Florence and about 45-50 minutes from Pisa. We ended up going to the museum in the morning and Pisa in the afternoon. Also, the area around Vinci is beautiful - filled with vineyards and olive groves. They also are famous for the local chianti.

Whatever you do, have a great time. We just loved it over there. The Italians were very, very nice.

Jun 17th, 2001, 07:31 PM
we're late

Would you please post the web address for the casa nuova as mentioned?

Jun 17th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Rhonda

Tami,

Hooray, finally someone has been to Vinci! (I posted a thread a while ago asking about it and no-one replied.) Our family of 4 are going late Sept-early Oct staying at La Pasciolica (I think, spelling?) with 10-12 others.

Can you please email me any suggestions in the area for restaurants, things to do, good day trips etc etc. We're leasing a car so transport is no problem (don't know about parking).

One of the main reaasons we are there is that friends are getting married and we've booked the reception at a restaurant not far away. Just about everything else has yet to be determined.

I can't wait. Rhonda

Jun 18th, 2001, 04:07 AM
Rex

What are the dates of your trip, Rhonda? The fall "Fodorites' trip" is Sep 19-Oct 2 - - meet up, perhaps?

Sep 20-21 - Tuscany (undecided where)
Sep 22-29 - Lake Garda, perhaps exploring throught the Veneto and/or Lombardia/ Emilia-Romagna
Sep 29-Oct 2 Rome

Best wishes,

Rex
www.rexbickers.italy.com