Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many hours should I give myself to roam around the Alhambra Palace?

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Lisa

Hola!
I'm just about to purchase my Alhambra Palace tix and was wondering how much time I should give myself to wander around the admission only portion. I will have a day or so either before or after my Alhmabra Palace visit to explore the free portion of the Palace and the surrounding area in Granada. I'll be there in the middle of July on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks for any tips!

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:15 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lisa, That is a hotel---I am not sure what you mean. I would allow about 4 hours to explore the Alhambra and the Generalife, and another half day to see the sites in Granada--is that what you need? Oh yes, it is a nice hotel.
How did you get the tickets--online?

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:34 AM
lisa

How embarassing--yes, I did mean the Alhambra, not the AP. Thank you Bob for your response, the correction and the time frame.
By the way, besides the Alhambra Palace hotel, are there any other hotels in Granada that you could recommend? I'm not that interested in the parador (out of my price range and I think already fully booked anyway). My budget is around 20,000 pesetas or less. Just something clean and comfy. Only for one night.
I haven't yet, but will reserve/purchase tix online. I don't have the details in front of me, but I did a search on Spain, Alhambra and found instructions on how to go to the Web site and do it in Spanish. (I don't think there's English). The message was posted in May 2001. Hope that helps narrow it down. Thanks again!

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Art

Lisa, we stayed at the Washington Irving hotel which is across the street from the Alhambra. It fits within your budget, has large rooms and decent bathrooms. You park your car (if you have one) in the Alhambra parking lot and get a discount from the hotel. It worked out very nice for us.
Regards
Art

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Andrea

Get there as early as possible in the morning before the crowds and heat!I would also suggest you get a basic tour or else you will miss out on alot of info.After that then jusy wander as long as you can stand the crowds and the heat!

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Neva

Hi, Lisa.

There's always the Hotel America, which is right next to the parador, very reasonably priced, charming and incredibly convenient to the Alhambra. You can take a cab down the hill (or a 20-minute walk under shady trees) to reach the town proper with its restaurants and nightlife.

Give yourself as much time in the Alhambra and Generalife as you can -- you won't want to leave. But do try to go early to avoid the tour bus contingent.

Jun 13th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Maribel

Lisa,
I can heartily second Neva's rec. of the little Hotel America, which couldn't be more convenient for an Alhambra visit. It's adjacent to the Alhambra and right below the Parador. Very quiet, magical at night. The rooms are tiny, but it's immaculate, friendly, well-priced, the English speaking owner is a real character, and it's chock-filled with flowering plants, Moorish tiles, ceramics, paintings which give it the feel of a real Granada "carmen" (country house). Very charming, cozy, authentic in a sweet, simple way. We've also stayed at the extraordinarily popular (thus very hard to book) Parador and the Alhambra Palace (a great "splurge", 24,000 pts. option) and have enjoyed all three for completely different reasons. We found the America a great budget option (as does Karen Brown in her "Spain Charming Inns and Itineraries" guide). Also the patio makes a nice spot to rest, relax and have a nice and inexpensive late lunch after touring, even if you aren't a hotel guest.
Another option besides the America and the old standby W. Irving is the Guadalupe, also on the Alhambra hill, next to the parking area, above the Alhambra Palace and also well within your price range.
I would also strongly second Andrea's rec to get your tickets for the Palacios Nazaries portion of the Alhambra visit as early in the morning as is bearable for you. The earliest slot is at 8:30. We entered last summer at 9, (our friends opted for the audio guide in English, which they enjoyed) and by 10:30, the Royal Apartments were packed with people (tour buses arrive around that time) which made moving about and picture taking quite a challenge, particularly in the beautiful Patio de los Leones and later at the reflecting pool of the Generalife up the hill (where everyone wants that quintessential Alhambra photo op)! We spent about 2 hrs. in the Palacios Nazaries area then headed straight up to the Generalife, where the temperature magically and mercifully drops around 10 degrees, because of the elevation, the fountains, the cypresses and greenery, the "streaming waterways" or stairs of water, etc., spent an hr strolling around and enjoying the break from the intense heat, then we came back down to stroll through the grounds of the Alcazaba (fortress) and climb the towers and visit the Renaissance Palacio de Carlos V. Then after 5 hrs. of sightseeing, we sought refuge from the heat and took a well deserved break in the lovely patio of the America (by that time there was only a 10 min. wait for a table) and had a delightful late, leisurely lunch so that when we finished it was almost time to visit the two "must see" sights downtown.
There's also a very handy little shuttle bus running every 10-15 min. that will take you from the Alhambra (right below the ticket booths) to the Plaza Nueva area downtown, where it's a very quick walk to the Cathedral and Royal Chapel (tombs of Ferdinand and Isabelle). These both close for siesta, re-opening at 4 p.m. during the summer.
And if time permits before dinner, I'd also suggest a sunset stroll downtown along the river Darro, then up to the Mirador San Nicolas in front of the church of the same name the very Moorish "Albaicin" quarter. The views at sunset of the Alhambra with the Sierra Nevada mountain range in the background are gorgeous!
Have a wonderful visit!

Jun 18th, 2001, 05:17 AM
julia

I highly recommend booking a late night ticket for the Nazarien Palace (sp). You can get this from the main Alhambra ticket booth at about 9.30 pm. The self-guided tour starts at 10.15pm. I've just come back , and at this time of year there didn't seem to be a big queue for the tickets. Your eve tour lasts 1 1/2 hours, and you just wander around the floodlit palace by yourself, with only 20 or so fellow travellers. We went to the day visit the next day, and it is SUCH a contrast. Swarms of tourists, tour groups all competing to impart information -- a real Tower of Babel! (Though of course, a day ticket lets you see the rest of the Alhambra and Generalife) Really try and go at night too. The atmosphere is beautiful
We stayed at the America -- very nice. Quite basic, but very pleasant. Enjoy your trip!