just overnight in paris

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:45 PM
kal

just overnight in paris

I will have a layover in Paris for one night(arrive 6PM - depart 2 or 4 PM next day)and I am wondering where to stay to take in as much as I can. I would like to visit the Louvre at least. Also, what is the best way to get from CDG to the city? Thanks for your help.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Chris Philhower

Others know better than I, but there is a RER you can take into Paris, and there are shuttle buses that Air France runs too. With these two options, I would avoid taxis -- very expensive in comparison. Allow an hour to get to/from CDG to Paris. <BR> <BR>I love the Eiffel Tower at night -- it's beautiful to see the city all lit up. It's also less crowded the closer to closing time you get. My friend and I got there about an hour or so before it closed and there were NO LINES!! But we did feel rushed. It's nice to see it during the day too, but for me, when you're up that high, everything looks the same -- little dots. And during the day, you'll wait in line at least an hour. <BR> <BR>The Louvre is HUGE!! If you've got access to a major museum in the states, I'd go in for the big 4 -- Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Venus DeMilo and Napoleon's Apartments. Then you might be able to squeeze in Notre Dame too. If that's cutting it too close (or you're a real museum hound), you can always stay at the Louvre or go to the Musee d'Orsay and check out the Renoirs (3rd floor) -- the d'Orsay is across the river from the Louvre, not a long walk. And the d'Orsay is a converted train station -- really beautiful structurally. <BR> <BR>For me, the Champs d'Elysses is too commercial -- Virgin Megastore, McDonalds, etc -- not enough of a "French flair", unless you stop in at the gallery areas. But if you take the metro to the stop George V (I think that's the one on the Champs), you get a really nice view of the Arc de Triumphe with a little of the Champs too (you'd have to get into the middle of the street for a good photo -- there's a pedestrian midpoint). <BR> <BR>It's a quick trip (start your day early!), but you'd get most of the highlights. Do whatever your can to avoid lines -- they'll suck up your time if you're not careful. Try to get tickets to the museums ahead of time -- there's usually a separate entrance for advance ticket holders where you can speed right through. If you can't get the tix ahead of time, check out the other entrances to the Louvre -- you don't have to go through the pyramid. <BR> <BR>My first trip to Paris was also only one day (but a full one). We squeezed in Notre Dame, the Louvre (the "big four"), saw the Arc de Triumphe, the Eiffel Tower (but didn't go up) and a little shopping (and a light lunch) in about 8 hours. Whew! Everyone thought I was insane for going for a day, but when I asked them what THEY were doing that weekend, they had sheepish looks and muttered something about mowing the lawn. <BR> <BR>Have fun, enjoy your short trip! To me, seeing a little is better than not having gone at all! Besides, it'll whet your appetite to get back. <BR> <BR>And don't forget to stop off at a cafe and grab a drink -- and sit outside! It's very French (even in December!) <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:39 AM
kal

Thanks for the tips, Chris. They will be very useful. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Bhumadji

I would suggest taking the Bateaux Mouche on the Seine River(floating boat) around 10 p.m. (Last boat leaves at 10:40.) This will give you an overview of the monuments as well as give you a layout of the land for you to venture out on the next day. The illumination of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame will take your breath away. Have a great time!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 03:48 PM
amik

I personally would NOT spend time in the Louvre! Long lines just to get in, huge place, you really need a whole day for that! <BR> <BR>Take one of those guided bus tours, AND the boat tour, walk the streets/markets, stay outdoors (if weather permits), smell the city, listen to people talking, hear the music, get the feel of this very special place! <BR>Paris is so full of atmosphere, such a wonderful city! <BR>Don't waste your precious time inside a huge museum! <BR>...and this is an artist writing to you... <BR>Bon Voyage! Amik.