just noticed my e ticket does not exactly matech the name on my passport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

United just sent me an email with notification of a time change on one of the legs of my trip to Europe. When I got out my e ticket i noticed that the ticket only had my middle initial not my full middle name as my passport does. This may have occurred because when I book as a frequent flyer the web site seems to gather my frequent flyer info....where I have my middle initial listed....and uses that for the ticket.

I am wondering if this may create a problem at check in. Tickets now clearly state that the name on the ticket must exactly match the name on the passport.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would call United and ask them.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is not a new requirement. Call the airline.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM

I never put my middle name on my ticket and yes it's on my passport.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

I called United and had a very difficult time even understanding the representative as he was in an outside of the US call center with a very heavy accent. Think it best to try again tomorrow and may get someone in the US. Thanks for your answers.

Dukey1, I thought I remembered hearing a news report about the name on one's ticket matching exactly with the ID presented which was not so exacting previously....middle name or initial being OK on either.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM

I don't usually put my middle (maiden) name on my ticket and have never had a problem. Good thing to look into though.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:54 PM

There have been changes in the governing regulations; what you did in the past no longer applies. I was notified by United that they changed the name on my FF account to match my passport on file. From the United website (emphasis added):

<i> Important account update information​
​To comply with the TSA Secure Flight program, <b>for travel booked on or after January 20, 2013</b>, customers must ensure that all travelers’ <u>names on each reservation exactly match the government-issued IDs that will be shown at the airport</u>. Changes to your own identification information can be made through your MileagePlus account. You may also change the names of your saved travelers, but they will only receive miles and Premier® benefits for the itinerary if the names on the reservation exactly match their MileagePlus accounts.</i>
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 05:41 AM

I had that problem twice with Continental/United (I had the wrong middle initial in my airline profile). They said they would not reissue the ticket but would put a TSA note on the ticket (only the TSA could see these types of notes). I had no problem either time with security.

Call the airline - only they can make the correction.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 05:54 AM

That happens with me all the time (Ie only middle initial on e ticket) and I've never had a problem. But given what seamus posts I'll be careful next time.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 06:14 AM

The difference between my ticket and passport was called to my attention by a TSA agent so I knew I had to get it straightened out.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Seamus, thank you for confirming what I was sure I had heard. I did call United again during business hours and got someone in the US whom I could clearly communicate with. The rep told me not to worry if the middle initial on the ticket was the same as the middle name on the passport, but they reissued my ticket in the full name as it appears but my husband's is more co placated as he is on an award ticket and United booked him for the flight from the US to Europe on TAP airlines.

I think as Seamus has mentioned d it is a good idea for anyone who often books and plugs in their FF account (as that is how the stored info is pulled up for the ticketing process) they should update the info in that account to exactly match their name as it reads on their passport to avoid any difficulties.