just looking for some good karma...

Mar 28th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Beth Anderson

just looking for some good karma...

Hey all,

Wish me LOTSA luck. A friend put a bug in my ear about maybe going to visit a mutual friend in London or Amsterdam sometime soon-ish... so it might be planes trains and automobiles again for me! (don't know if he was serious - there was a little bit of drinking going on... but hey, I am always up for a spontaneous trip of this sort)

never been to Amsterdam - at the risk of being booed - feel free to post comments on your favorite spots... and has anyone seen any GREAT fares for spring? I know BA is having a huge airfare sale...

thanks!

Beth

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Shanna

Beth, you get to travel entirely too much! I'm beginning to feel like a stay-at-home old spinster. What's your travel record look like and what's your secret?

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Gigi

Hey, Great Karma coming your way! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!!!

Mar 28th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Maira

Check out TISS.com. Also, Lufthansa was having an auction for seats still available on some flights. Check them out; you never know....

Mar 28th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Tammy

Beth, way to go! Hope it all follows through and you are able to go. Oh, and by the way, I'm jealous

Mar 28th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Beth Anderson

thanks, everyone! I'll keep you posted.

(and if this DOES NOT go through, well, I will be in London anyway, in early May, very likely. more on that later...) (Gina you know I am talking about you!)

my European travel record - not exactly sure anymore. since my first ever trip to Europe, at age 16? double digits, at least.

actually in the past 18 months it's been 7-8 times. working on plans for TEN or ELEVEN by the 2 year mark... (if all this works out).

yes, I do work. I make judicious use of my leave time (TRY to travel around holidays), and my biggest secret is that I am irresponsible as all get out. Whatever extra money I've earned pretty much goes out the door for plane tickets, etc. (nope, no credit cards, no way. avoid at all costs).

I figure, do it now, do it while you are young and footloose - who knows what responsibilities lie ahead later.

carpe diem!

Beth

Mar 28th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Judi

Beth, I agree with you!!! If Europe travel is your passion it's a good way to spend your money.(I'm glad to hear you aren't paying credit card interest.) I'm "plenty-nine" and we are retired so I also feel the need to get to Europe as often as I can; it is my passion as well. We have been going twice a year but we will go three or four times a year from now on. I don't want to wake up some morning and find that we are not physically able to make the trip so it's important to go while we can. You seem to feel an urgency also. Happy travels, wherever you go!

Mar 28th, 2001, 01:42 PM
s.fowler

While I'm an "old-fogey", I'll still risk my A'dam recommendations. First -- stay in one of the canal house hotels. We stayed at Hotel Agora -- not an elegant place, BUT the bathrooms were wonderful -- new tile and lots of space and hot water AND the breakfast was a full European one with many different kinds of bread, cereal, meats and cheese. They lit candles to keep your coffee warm AND a candle chandelier -- AND played classical music. The management very friendly and helpful -- although they didn't have the same info at their fingertips that a 3 star would have.

The big three museum-wise are: the Rijksmuseum for Rembrandt and Vermeer, the Van Gogh Museum -- right now there is a fascinating general impressionism show on. Then, of course, the Anne Frank House --- which is very well designed indeed and ends with a powerful and useful multi-media exhibition on nationalism. I can also recommend two restaurants if you wish, but, as I said, being an "old-fogey", our interests may be different than ours.

You can check out our recent trip to A'dam and the Hotel Agora breakfast room at: http://geocities.com/travelswithus/march01/ams-1.html

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Beth Anderson

Hey all - thanks for the great thoughts - the karma is working, cuz:

heading to London with Gina in a month or so??

heading to France/Switzerland with a friend or two or three or four or whatever in June/July...

and my bud who wants to go visit a mutual friend in London/Amsterdam - he can't go very soon due to two big vacations he just took, but, he wants to go a little later this year, so we are looking at late summer, early fall or thereabouts.

WHEE!

if ya want a postcard, send me your address. (and send me one too - I collect them - you oughta see my fridge)

thanks everyone!

Beth

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Annette

Beth, I've got two great lunch suggestion and one dinner idea. The prices are modest (cheap!)

Go to the Kalvertoren shopping center (entered by Heiligeweg, Kalverstraat and Singel) and go up the the top floor is the Cafe Kalvertoren. You've got great panoramic views from there. Also for a good lunch with beautiful view go to 6th floor of Metz&Co department store at 455 Keizersgracht.

For details on how-to navigate independent daytrips out of A'dam check out http://www.gettingaway.com/europe/ce...and/trips.html

If you want really cheap but good Indonesian food deliveried to your hotel one night call Bojo 622-7434 at Leidsedwarsstraat 51.
Have fun, Beth!

Mar 30th, 2001, 09:17 AM
nancy

Beth,
Your change of plans sounds marvelous!
Good luck on all the trips, esp the one planned for late summer/autumn!
Send some good karma my way please.