Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just how intimidating is the Italian rail system?

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a Venice, Florence, Rome trip in September. We have never used the Italian trains and have sweaty palms about navigating the stations, acquiring tickets, finding the correct train and track, etc. We are seniors and lugging bags through confusing stations in a mad rush gives us pause. Comments will be appreciated.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Right there with you, Bill! Everyone kept telling me about how very simple it is to use the trains in Italy. We finished up only taking one train, from Florence to Pisa. Managed to get on the right train, but without getting our tickets punched before the train departed. The opinion of those around us on the train (all Italians) was that we should simply write the day and time on our tickets, so, if an inspector got on board, it wouldn't look like we were trying to cheat. Just saying, it's not as intuitive (the first time) as people suggested ... but, arguably better than driving!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM

I had a Eurail pass when I went so I can't speak for actually buying tickets. I also had only a (rather big) backpack, so luggage wasn't too much of a hassle for me. I went to Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence and Bologna. I found the Italian rail system fairly easy to navigate, certainly no more complicated than anywhere else. Yes, there were crowds and it was sometimes a bit hectic and confusing, but I think that's true for most train stations in big cities.

I would suggest arriving with a decent amount of time before your train leaves, not hours or anything, but I personally tried to get there about half an hour before the train was due to depart. That was mainly because I wanted to give myself enough time to actually get to the station, and also in case I got lost or turned around at the station itself. It's just a good idea to give yourself time when you know you'll be in a strange place. This is especially true if you have a lot of luggage with you; running to catch a train while carrying a bunch of heavy bags is VERY uncomfortable.

I did find that the Italian trains were in general less comfortable than French trains. They were dirtier and just generally more shabby. But that may just have been my experience.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Tt
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:14 PM

If you can navigate an airport a train station will seem simple in comparison as they're much smaller.

As to the "mad rush," get to the station with time to spare and then there won't be a mad rush.

Once you get there you'll wonder why you were so anxious! Relax and enjoy the trains.

- Walk into the station
- Look for the destination board
- Find your destination
- Look across the line for the track number (bin in Italian)
(doesn't this sound like what you do at an airport?)

Many times the track numbers won't be posted until a few minutes before boarding so you'll have time to scope out the station and buy something to eat and drink.

If you have a Regional ticket, validate it in the little box at the entrance to your track. If you have a dated and timed ticket then no need to validate. Sometimes there is a board at the entrance to the track with the train composition so you can see where your car is located. If there is no board then just walk down the platform and look at the signed next to the entrance doors.

Very easy.

For more train information go to seat61.com
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Bill: I find it easy and I'm not that smart. ;-)

About comfort: you always have the option of first class tickets.

The trains will be much fast and more convenient than flying between any of those three cities, and much less expensive than hiring a driver.

On tickets: people here will help you, OR you can buy your train tickets at any designated travel agency in Italy that has the Trenitalia logo in the window, OR you can copy the schedules here, print them out, and take them to the ticket window at your arrival airport, buying them all at that time. OR buy them as you go at agencies or train stations. There are many options.

About your luggage: that is somewhat of a concern. Pack very light, be well organized, and make sure your luggage is easy to roll. Try packing and strolling around the block at home before deciding what to take and what to leave.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:42 PM

More thoughts: I often study the webpage for a train station before I go there. Roninrome.com has really good information for Roma Termini.

You get a sense of what you're heading into.

Venice is very easy. Florence is pretty easy. Termini is kind of big, but quite doable.

Just take your time and pack light.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Bill,
I felt the same way the first time taking the trains, but now we love it. One piece of advice is to pack very lightly, since you have to carry the bags up 3-4 steps to your car. We arrive about 1/2 hour early and look for our train on the board, then get ready to go to the track when it shows on the board. That part can get a little hurried, but people are polite about waiting for you to get on board.

BTW, if your destination from Venice is Florence, you might not see it on the board; instead look for the train number. It may say that it's going to Rome but Florence is a stop on the way.

It's a lovely, quiet and smooth way to travel. I'd highly recommend the fast trains, and we go first class on trains ( even though we can't go first class on airplanes!)

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>If you have a Regional ticket, validate it in the little box at the entrance to your track. If you have a dated and timed ticket then no need to validate
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM

When we traveled from Florence to Rome on the Eurostar, I bought tickets in advance online at www.raileurope.com. You also can buy directly from the Italian rail service at www.trenitalia.com. There, you must use the Italian names for cities, such as Firenze. You also can use www.tgv-europe.com for any country.
I think you can't buy Eurostar tickets more than 60 days in advance, but if you buy them right at that time there usually are good prices; we went for first class because the premium was so low. It's best to register.
With tickets in hand you just find your train and car as described above. It's a beautiful and smooth 90 minute ride.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM

The only "intimidating" part of using Italian trains, in my opinion, is remembering to validate tickets before you get on the train. Yes, I have forgotten a few times; never got caught but did write the date and time immediately on the tickets once I realized this. If the ticket is for a specific train (date/time/seat/reservation printed on the ticket) it does not need to be validated.

Otherwise, I have no trouble with Italian trains - and I rode many over several trips.

You can use the ticket machines (instructions in English) to buy tickets for any train on the Trenitalia system (perhaps not international trains). In 2007 I was able to use my US credit card in the machines but they may not be accepted anymore (chip-and-pin required now, perhaps?). But you can find a machine that accepts euros. Or, stand in line at a ticket window; write the departure and arrival cities and date on a piece of paper to hand it to the agent. Write the date as DAY/MONTH/YEAR (20/4/2013) not MONTH/DAY/YEAR (4/20/2013) as we do in the US. The agent will probably be able to speak at least some English.

Finally, give yourself plenty of time at the train station to find the right train.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Trains are super easy. Your only legitimate concern is luggage. You need to be able to walk briskly (if you are changing trains) a block or so with your luggage. You need to be able to carry it up 3 or 4 steep steps from platform to train (possibly - depending on what you take where). You need to be able to put small luggage overhead - and leave larger bags at the end of the car.

We have traveled with a medium size bag and carry-on each on trains - but if necessary we could jog a block with both bags. If you have a lot of trouble dealing with your luggage - you need to take a lot less.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank all of you. My palms are slightly less sweaty.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM

One more thing: other travelers have been very helpful whenever we've had any difficulty with luggage on the steps. My younger son didn't have much strength last summer, so we did struggle a bit. I'd bet some Good Samaritan would step in and help if you need it.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 12:59 AM

Between the places you mentioned, trains run every hour. You can get your ticket
at the ticket machine (explanations in English, takes credit cards, but rather sophisticated resp compicated), some weeks up to an hour or so prior to the train departure
at the railway station counter (often long queues at Venice, Florence and Rome,
in the web.
Web tickets are often highly discounted.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 01:43 AM

I am among those who find it simple with the exceptions noted by others and below.

What I think some people find slightly nerve wracking is that you won't know which track you will be departing from until about 10 minutes before it leaves. We are a forum full of people who agonize over which of two virtually identical streets has the "best" view, I.e., slightly compulsive. In fact, trains, especially regional trains, mostly depart from the same places. You ca ask or you ca assume that a platform full of women in stylish clothes is more likely to be a Frecciarossa than a platform full of school kids. But check.

What should be worrying is that the trains are in the stations very little time compared to American trains, though perhaps more than French trains. Despite humor about Italian inefficiency, trains are very likely to
be on time. You do not have time for a quick trip to he toilet or to buy a candy bar.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 01:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to echo the advice to pack light - it makes all the difference when you are negotiating those steps, and there are bound to be a few, even at major stations with lifts and ramps.

AND a word about those lifts and ramps - on my last trip to Italy I was using the trains exclusively which was new for me, i was alone, and I was quite nervous. Somehow I just couldn't see the signs for the lifts and ramps so lugged my over-large and heavy luggage up and down staircases at several stations.

On the journey back, those lifts and ramps had miraculously appeared at those same stations!

give yourselves plenty of time, and hopefully you'll see the signs and avoid those stairs.

BTW, I'm not sure about the other two, but so far as I know there are no stairs at Florence - it's all on the flat. the official taxi rank is at the front of the station, to the left - and there is a taxi consolidator who will direct you to the next one. The traffic in florence is appalling but fortunately YOU won't be driving in it - a great advantage of using public transport.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 02:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Basically the SMN station in Florence has no stairs; Campo di Marti may be different.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 03:20 AM

We took the train frequently in February for sightseeing from Lucca. I fond the automated ticket machines handy to use (although we didn't have prior reservations as we were just day tripping). Here's a video walking you through the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6-yNn0N6Mo
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 03:36 AM

Firenze SMN has no stairs on the east side (via Valfonda), there is a ramp on the western side (via Alamanni and the bus station). Taxies, ticket office and all tracks are accessed at the same level (but some buses are not).

All tracks at Campo di Marte but track 1 are accessed by underpass. There are elevators, slow and not always working, if memory does not fail me they work by keeping a button pressed till you are arrived, sometimes confusing.

Ackislander, I have noticed this trend of always asking for the "best" solution, and sometimes it borders on the bizarre - obviously there is not always a single solution best for all, and sometimes the best solution is just waiting and/or looking around. Another term that sometimes sounds bizarre is "exploring" places that were charted a few centuries ago and are visited by millions people per year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -