Just home from Spain, WOW is all I can say

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all, and especially Maribel (our angel) for all your help in planning this beautiful trip. We spend 5 days in Barcelona, rented a car and drove north along the Costa Brava for 4 days. Then on to the Pyrenees for 3 nights. All was beautifully planned with the help of our Fodorites family. The weather was spectacular, in the mid 70's and cool evenings. The meals were great, the sights were awsome. I am catching up on mail, laundry and of course jet leg, but will be happy to answer questions.
Danie
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Hi, Danie,

I'd love to here where you stayed in Barcelona, because we are having a really tough time deciding on a hotel there. Also, what was your favorite stop along the Costa Brava?

Thanks!
Meredith
Old May 10th, 2003, 03:20 PM
lol

Danie
I spent my honeymoon in Spain and I second your WOW. We spent it in ronda and from there toured the white villages then we headed to seville then for a final week in Barcelona, from which we went to Girona and Perpignan, france.
Meridith, when we were in Barcelona (last October) we stayed at hotel Barcelona 4 stars. it was ok, clean, nothing fancy but the location was the best. just off placa catalunya in a quiet street. (don't stay on the Ramblas it is hell, not a moment of silence day or night)
our hotels in ronda and seville were much more luxurious but the location of the hotel, just a minute away from the ramblas, was great.
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Meredith,
In Barcelona we stayed at the Condes de Barcelona, a 4* hotel on Passeig de Gracia. Great location, walking distance to Placa Catalunya, La Rambla and we walked all the way down to the port. I agree with lol about La Rambla, I would not stay in a hotel there, very very noisy 24 hours/day.
In Costa Brava make sure to stop at Tossa del Mar, we spend a couple of hours there and had lunch. Great old town. Further up we walked along the great foot path along the ocean at S'Agaro, the views were awsome. Further north we absolutely loved Roses (past the port). Cadaques w/a drive up the Cap de Creus was a great little surprise. We did not read much about it, and are so happy we went. Also, a little more inland, there are wonderful little towns to visit, a gem was PALS. Hope this helps,
have fun planning
Danie
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Danie, thanks for the Costa Brava suggestions - very helpful! And lol, you mentioned the Hotel Barcelona - is that the one owned by Husa? (By the way, this is a honeymoon trip for us, too!)

Thanks again!
Meredith
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:29 AM
lol

hi Meredith
yes hotel barcelona is owned by husa.
When we were in Ronda we stayed at reina victoria (also husa) and it was really charming (newly rennovated) with a great view.
hotel barcelona was clean (minibar, aircondition, pay per view, private bathroom) but not luxurious. as i said excellent location. when in barcelona take a day trip to montesserat, it is abreth taking climb up the mountain. just make sure it is not rainning that will ruin your day.
best of luck and if you have more questions please ask. are you considering Andalucia?
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:44 AM

We're spending a week in Mallorca and a week in Barcelona. Andalucia sounds wonderful, too, but I think we'll have to save that for our next trip!
Old May 11th, 2003, 12:54 PM
lol

Meredith, sorry for the spelling mistakes.
good luck in your plans.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Danie,
wish we had as much time as you did, but we're also doing Barcelona 5 nights, Costa Brava 1-2 nights and Pyrenees 2 - 3 nights. Any suggestions for the Pyrenees? I can't wait.