Reload this Page >

Just back from Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 03:07 PM
Lucy

We concentrated on the German-speaking Berner Oberland areas, plus Zermatt and Zurich. Travel by Swisspass.Accommodations in 2 apartments for 8 and 3 days, respectively, in Meiringen and Zermatt, and at the Hotel Bristol in Zurich. I would be happy to answer questions future visitors might have...

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:29 AM
Byrd

Did you go to Luzern? We are thinking of of stopping there on our way from Zurich to northern Italy in October. <BR>Byrd

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:59 AM
dan woodlief

Luzern is worth a stop. It is a very beautiful city and it is fairly easy to see in one day if that is all you have. For more gorgeous views, take one of the mountaintop excursions in the area or take a boat ride on the lake.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 06:04 AM
Mike

I have also been to Luzern and found it to be one of the best parts of my trip. Even though we saw everything in the first day, we ended up staying for two days, and didn't want to leave after that. It was very scenic, very relaxing, and the food was great. If you ahve any questions on luzern, let me know or email me

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 10:09 AM
Byrd

Dan- the mountaintop excursion suggestion sounds great. Our tentative plans are to stay in Luzern two nights. <BR>Mike- Hotel and restaurant recommendations would be welcome! Thanks..

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:27 PM
andrea

I have been to Luzern twice and definitely recommend a visit to Mount Pilatus, with a beuatiful view of Luzern and the Alps. You can either hike up it (it takes about 6 hours) or take the cable cars or cogwheel train up to the top. There are also two hotels on top of the mountain, which I also suggest. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me directly.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:29 PM
Mike

We stayed at Mr. Pickwicks, right on the Lake in Luzern. It is a bar on the bottom floor, but has 3 or 4 floors of rooms above it. We were 2 floors up, and there were no noise problems. The bars close at midnight anyhow. We had an amazing view of the mountains on top of this, adn the rooms, although rather small were very sufficient. It was very close to the wooden bridge across the lake if you arrive in town. They also had an amazing wheat beer on tap there, but unfortunately i cannot remember the name of it. The price was $45 dollars I believe for 2 people. A very good place if you are on a budget. The Telephone number of Mr. Pickwick's is : 041/410 59 27 <BR> <BR>We ate at a good German place up in town a little bit, but i cannot remember the name.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:52 PM
Lucy

Luzern is an absolutely lovely city. The bridges are quite unique and photogenic; the waterfront and the old town area are also nice. We visited on a Sunday and walked from the train station through the old town along the lake to the transportation museum. (You can take a tram if you like as the transport museum is quite a hike.) I don't necessarily consider the museum a must, although it is very comprehensive, has several IMAX films and other presentations. Think of it as a mini-Air and Space. It is a good option for a rainy day. As much as I liked Luzern, I think the mountain villages are what make Switzerland special. If you get an opportunity, you will enjoy visiting any of these. (We found Zurich very compact and definitely able to be seen in a day or so. We had 2 days and included a boat ride and a visit to the Landesmuseum. Be sure to visit the Sprungli pastry/candy/ice cream shop near Paradesplatz. Expensive but good.!)

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 07:08 PM
Kevin

Will be spending one night in Zurich (since our plane departs from there early next a.m.) Looking for a hotel recommendation, preferably with breakfast and close to the train station.