Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from Prague, Budapest, Vienna. Any Questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:11 AM
Valerie

Had a great time, went on a sleeper train from Prague to Budapest. Any questions, would be glad to help.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 04:36 AM
ph

Hi there! Did you had a problem with language in vienna? thanks in advance!

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 09:17 AM
Valerie

No language problem at all in Vienna. Everybody speaks english it seemed. Prague people knew the basics in english too and I was surprised that in all three cities the restaurants had menus with english.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 10:42 AM
don

Hello. I am interested in knowing where you stayed in those three cities, and which place you liked best.

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 04:05 AM
Margartia

Where did you stay in Praha? Looking for a midpriced hotel in the older section of town. We've been before but I can't remember the name of the hotel. It's been a couple of years. <BR>Margarita

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 04:07 AM
valerie

In Prague, I stayed at the Hotel Europa on Wenceslas square. Really nice location and hotel was nice with it's restaurants. However the rooms were not the best condition and we requested the 1st or second floor because we had heard that the rooms were the best there. We landed on the 1st floor with high ceilings but the beds were the worst I ever slept on in my life! (I have stayed in many two star/tourist class hotels all throughout Europe) and I had such a backache and hip-ache! Odd as it seemed to me, but the beds were simply a wooded board on a platform with a little more than a 1 inch foam pad on it! And to top it all off on the last night I was there I found a small Cock Roach crawling around on the bathroom floor over the bath mat! <BR> Budapest, We stayed at the Hotel Nemesti a Mercure Hotel chain, which was superb! We had stayed at these french (I believe) hotel chains before and they are excellent! <BR> Vienna was at the Hotel Austria off the Schwedenplatz subway stop at the top of the ring within the ring not too far from the Stephendom (sp) Church. Great location and an ok hotel. Money doesn't go far in Vienna. It was comparible to a tourist class/first class hotel at $140 a night per couple. One of the reception people I found very stern and mean at this hotel and was even ignored after having checked out and had a question. It was if we had checked out and they couldn't be bothered with us anymore! Funny. <BR> Hope this helps, or makes you laugh a bit!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 03:55 AM
Mary Ann

We just got back last weekend from Europe and stayed in Praha for 3 nights in the Stare Mesto area at The Cloister Inn. It was about $100 a night for a double with breakfast. Rooms and beds were fine, staff helpful. They have parking for a small charge in an interior courtyard very secure. The hotel is across from the police station. From there we walked to Wenselas and Old town square, even over to St Vitas, but once we took the tram which is also close to pick up. For restaurants we ate mostly in the locations we were seeing and the food was great everywhere! Also, in Vienna we stayed on the Graben in pension Nossek for about $100 with very helpful staff and terrific location.