Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Decent restaurants around Victoria Station area?

Oct 6th, 1999, 11:39 AM
Gina

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent, inexpensive restaurants around the Victoria area?
I have looked at many different listings for London restaurants and I can never find anything around the Victoria area?

Oct 7th, 1999, 09:18 AM
elvira

The only thing I ever found was the Grovesnor/Thistle Hotel that's at the station. Everything else seems to be snack and sandwich bars. I hope somebody posts a couple of suggestions!

Oct 7th, 1999, 12:27 PM
phil carey

I've worked around the Vicotira area for 10 years now and you're right, it's difficult to find anything to get excited about. Assuming you're looking fo somewhere within 5-10 mins walk of the station, and don't want to spend much more than about #15 per head, all I think is either a very stylish branch of the pizza chain Ask! immediately opposite the station, or a pleasant bistro, The Rochester, atached to the hoel of the same name on Rochester Row. Across the road from that is a very smart place called Simply Nico, but that'll cost around twice as much I'm afraid. If I were you, I'd head a little further afield - west o South Kensington, or even South to the delights of Battersea Rise near Clapham Junction. Have fun anyway.

Oct 7th, 1999, 01:57 PM
Joe

I ate at a restaurant called Bumbles a few times in the late '80s and early '90s. Good and moderately priced. It was near Victoria Station on Buckingham Palace Rd. Has anyone been there in recent years?

Oct 8th, 1999, 04:06 AM
Gina

I'd love to find a decent Greek or German restaurant...It really doesn't matter if we have to take the tube etc.
Does anyone know if they have any German eats in London?
Thanks for all the responses.
We are getting very EXCITED about our trip!

Oct 8th, 1999, 04:37 AM
Jo

Okay - they're not Greek or German, but back to Victoria Station. I also work there. For a budget Italian, I'd recommend the Spaghetti House (its just around the corner from the Apollo Theatre, heading away from the train station). Its a chain, but its not bad value. Also, on that main road by the station is a couple of Steak Houses, Grills etc. There are also some pubs in the area that do good food. As somebody said, nothing really to get excited about. Make sure you don't leave London without having a curry.
What I'd really recommend is a Time Out guide.