Just back from Paris

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Liz

Just back from Paris

Nice to be home - flight on AA yesterday was 2/3 full - better than the 15-20% going to London on the 28th. We stayed at the Villa Eugenie - not in a very convenient location - however - great service, pretty rooms - we had a king size bed - and great bathrooms - all new. They are 4 star and I got the room for about $150 a night with tax from Hotel Discount. We took the metro during the days and taxis at night. We went to the top of the Eiffel - just to prove something to myself. Ate at Tallievent, L'Astrance, Le Recamier, Brasserie Julien and Epi Dupin. All meals were great with the first 2 being the hightlights. It was strange being over there when the bombing started - all we had to watch on TV was CNN and BBC world news - in overload. Everyone was great as was the shopping. Any questions?

Liz

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 07:20 AM
curt

Liz
Please some more details on Villa Eugenie. Location, etc. I am always adding hotels to my list for future visits. Thanks so much.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Liz

The hotel is located on the Rue de Rome about a 10 minute walk to the Villiers Metro stop. There are train tracks across the street from the front side so we asked to move to other side of the hotel - they graciously accodated us and moved our luggage while we were at lunch. Rooms weren't huge - but the bed was - it was a large square room and we didn't trip over ourselves. Bathrooms are marble with good water pressure, bath and shower and nice little amenities(soap, shampoo, qtips, nail files etc.) Very clean with nice sitting lounge in lobby. It is part of the hotel d' Paris group. I guess you could say it is in the 17th - nice area- not seedy. It was great for the price - rack rates are substantially higher. We didn't mind being out of the center - Paris is not very big.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Heidi

I don't know if this is really relevant, but can you describe the mood in Paris during your trip? I plan to leave on November 2, and I'm feeling a little nervous about how American tourists are being treated these days. Are things closing without notice for security reasons?

I plan to enjoy a meal at Jules Verne atop the Eiffel Tower, but that's the only thing that has me seriously thinking twice....

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Liz

The mood in Paris appeared to be fine. I was treated superbly in all restaurants and I don't speak French. As of the other day I didn't see any closings. I was at the Eiffel on Sunday and the Jules was closed - but it probably is that day. Brasseries and restaurants were pretty bopping on Sunday even though the bombing started.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:31 AM
betty

Enjoyed your comments. Am leaving for Paris in 10 days and am concerned about safety in the city? Were you? Appreciate your restaurant names.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Liz

Betty - I think you just have to be careful as in any city - I live in Manhattan and always wear my diamond ring even on the subway - but I turn it around. A lot of people speak of pickpockets in Paris - so if you have a bag or a sack hold it in front of you - I saw a lot of that on the Metro. I saw no incidents on my visit (it was only for 4 days) I mentioned the restaurants I ate in during my stay - I will give you more detail. Epi Dupin - reasonably priced Bistro (reserve in advance) $28 euro fixed price. Innovative modern bistro fare; L'Astrance - new haute cuisine - marvelous food - they have different menus. We got the surprise menu which is about 8-9 small courses including wine - $65 a person. Reserve exactly 30 days in advance. Taillevent - the best and costliest - about $105/person -but that is a 3 star splurge. Reserve months in advance. Brasserie Julien - had an upbeat crowd - fashiony types and fun. There are just too many places to eat there.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 12:16 PM
shopper

tell us about the shopping? any good tips or bargains? Purses, shoes?
Also, my safety questions are more pertaining to terrorists threats--did you feel you could be open about being american? was there heightened security at the sites or airport?

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Liz

I was very open about being American - always have been. Was not a problem, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. As for the airport - there is alway more security there than in the US (or was) There were guards in fatigues with big guns roaming the floor before check in - There was no more of a wait than usual. I checked in and did my tax back in 50 minutes. When I left the states on 9/28 JFK was empty and it took me 10 minutes to check my bags and get through the security gate. As for shopping - I did a little at the Gallerie Lafayette - you can get a 10% discount cards plus get tax back. I went to Michel Suisse for perfumes and make-up - they are cheaper than the airport if you buy over the amount for tax back. I also bought Mephisto shoes. That was about it for this trip.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:14 PM
Jenny

Hi Liz,
I'll be in Paris in a few weeks for my first time and was wondering...How's the nightlife? Do you have any suggestions on where to go?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:29 AM
liz

We didn't go out that much after dinner (we usually do) but I wasn't feeling too great - I haven't slept well since 9/11. There is a book called underground paris - it has tons of bars and clubs. Also check out timeout.com for paris. They always list places to go.