Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Walkable from Victoria station to Green Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:28 PM
mike

How far is that? Or rather is it a doable walk for someone who likes to walk? May be taking a train from Gatwick to Victoria. Or does the train go to Green Park? Not really sure. I can also just hire a car and driver from Gatwick to Green Park. I enjoy walking but will have a large suitcase on wheels. $ no object, just don't know if it's a few blocks or a few miles. Thanks much, Mike.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Patrick

Green Park is pretty huge. Where exactly are you going? If your hotel is on the North or Northeastern edge of the park (which I would assume it is) then it is a pretty good walk -- maybe 40 minutes with luggage? I've walked that many times, but never pulling luggage if that makes a difference. The next option is to take a taxi or the underground from Victoria to your hotel, or to Green Park station on the Picadilly Line of the underground. Are you traveling alone? If so, a car and driver from Gatwick would be really outrageous for one person.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:45 PM
mike

Thanks Patrick, <BR>I'm staying at the Hilton, Green Park. Not exactly sure where that is from Gr. Prk., but the hotel says it is "an easy two blk. walk." The car and driver is about 65 GBP. Expensive but worth it. Not sure I'd be up for a 40 min. walk. And it is soooo nice to just be met. M.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Howard

I would say take a cab with your luggage, and save your walking for sightseeing. It may be rainy and you may want to settle in before setting out.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Ben Haines

It's a do-able walk for a happy walker, on trafficky roads from the station past the Queen's state coaches and some of her pictures to the front of the Palace, and more pleasantly on a paved patch across the park. But as Howard says, tedious with luggage. So I suggest you cut the queue (line) fora taxi, and take a bus number 8 or 38 from the mini bus station in front of Victoria station to Green Park tube station, then northwards from Piccadilly along Half Moon Street. If you buy at Gatwick airport railway station a ticket for Gatwick to include a day card for zones one and two you'll have paid for the bus, and for your London travels for that day. Or you can buy an ordinary bus ticket for a pound: the luggage goes freee. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:03 AM
mike

Thanks Ben. And everyone else for the help. M.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Dave

Keep in mind that a 40-minute walk for someone who knows the area could be twice that for someone who doesn't know where they're going exactly. I've stayed in the Victoria area several times now and still get a bit disoriented coming out of the station.