Reload this Page >

just back from London, any ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 10:58 AM
kate

Greetings - just returned for my 5 day trip to London, anything I can address for anyone.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
Henry

Where did you stay? Were all the tourist scared off by mad cow/hoof&mooth?

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:19 AM
kate

Stayed in the Holland Park area at the Hilton. We encountered many tourists and not one concern of hoof/mouth or mad cow. Can't wait to go back!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 08:01 AM
Phil

We are staying at the Kensington Hilton next month - I assume it is the same hotel you stayed at . I couldn't resist the price of 69 pounds . My only concern was the location , but the price was more than right . <BR> <BR>How was the hotel ? <BR> <BR>Our plane leaves Gatwick at 9:00 AM - how long will it take to get there via the Victoria station train ? <BR> <BR>Thanks , Phil.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Bonnie

Hi. I will be leaving for the UK in June. It will be our first trip and I am beginning to feel overwhelmed. We will be arriving in Manchester and driving up to Keswick for 2 days, then to Edinburgh for 2 days, down to York for 1 day, the Cotswods for 3 days, 1 day in Bath and 4 in London. Do you know the price of gasoline? We'll be staying at the Strathmore Hotel in London? Does anyone know anything about it? With Mad Cow and Hoof & Mouth such a problem, what's left to eat over there? We are not on a tour, so we are pretty much going to be winging it. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:28 PM
Barbara

Message: Am planning a trip to London, will be staying there a few days, and then head for Dover to take a cruise. Does anyone know how to get from London to Dover?

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Karen

Barbara <BR>You can take a direct train from either Charing Cross or Victoria station to Dover. The journey is just under 2 hours. Check www.railtrack.co.uk for timetables. <BR> <BR>Bonnie <BR>There is the same choice of foods as there has always been, we aren't all living on fish and chicken. Foot and Mouth does not affect humans and a LOT of people still eat beef

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:13 AM
sylvia

Bonnie, Bonnie <BR>Foot and Mouth is pretty well over and anyway all affected animals are killed so that they don't get into the food chain. Unless beef has been kept in the freezer since 1988, it will be safer and nicer that most of the stuff you get at home. The regulations are now extremely strict. Just eat and enjoy. If you like Indian or Chinese food, Manchester is a good place to get it. Either visit Chinatown or visit the famous "Curry Mile" in Rusholme.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:18 AM
xxx

Bonnie--You are covering alot of ground in very few days. I hope the number of days in each location excluded travel time. We did a similar trip in early spring (minus York and Scotland). We also flew into Manchester. That was a bonus as it was much easier to navigate a smaller airport than Heathrow or Gatwick. It was also easy to head out of town with the rental car. We were in the countryside at the height of the foot and mouth problem. We found it did not impact our plans too much. Some smaller properties were closed, but there were still more things to do than we had time for. I would suggest you check with the regional tourist boards for each area you will be in. That seemed to be the most accurate source of information I used. There is plenty of food choices available. We did not hesitate to eat beef, nor any other meat. But that is a personal choice.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:52 AM
David White

To Bonnie, <BR> <BR>As one other poster noted, your trip involves a lot of driving. Sometimes distances alone can be deceiving, if you are on smaller roads, driving can take longer than you expected. For estimates of driving time, go to a site like www.mapblast.com and get directions for segments of your trip. They include estimated drive times. <BR> <BR>That said, in Keswick, don't miss Castlerigg Stone Circle, just outside of town. This is one of the most dramatically located stone circles in the UK--on a hilltop, surrounded by mountains. Walking the hills (fell treking) is a prime activity around Keswick. Expect that some pathways will still be closed as a residual of foot-and-mouth outbreak, but many are reopening the last weekend of May. <BR> <BR>Between Keswick and Edinburgh, try to stop and see part of Hadrian's Wall--the Roman wall that separated England from Scotland. <BR> <BR>Make sure to allot enough time for York--fine cathedral, wonderful walled city to explore. Have a meal or tea at Betty's, a York institution. <BR> <BR>Likewise, don't shortchange Bath--fine architecture, interesting Roman bath exhibit, etc. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps <BR> <BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:00 AM
kate

Phil - yes, we stayed at the Kensington Hilton-we thought it was great. The nearest tube stop is Holland Park (about a 7 min walk). The neighborhood is fantastic! There are several restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, a grocer, butcher shop (be sure to check out the butchers-they all wear straw hats), florist, and 2 wonderful bakery stores. The staff at the hotel (especially the concierges) were great! Anything else, just let me know. If your flight leaves Gatwick @ 0900, you need to check in by 0700, which means you should leave the hotel no later than 0530. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to Victoria station and then the train ride to Gatwick is 30 min (and the cost for the train is 10L and the tax was about 10L too).

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Dan

My wife and I had a very positive experience with driving in england. Gas however cost like $5 a gallon (if I did the math right) <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Bobbie

We will arrive in London at the end of July,mid day,and will have to take a taxi from the London Liverpool train station to the theatre district, can anyone give me some idea of what the cost will be? Are London taxis very expensive? <BR>