Just back from Ireland

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from Ireland

Just returned from 10 days in Ireland. Went to Galway, Killareny, Kilkenny and Dublin. The prices for everything in all of Ireland were high - even pub food. We stayed at the Park House Hotel in Galway for about 112.33 Euro per night including the best breakfast we had in Ireland. The staff was great and the room was terrific - very clean, updated and not worn. The staff was young, but friendly and accommodating. The next hotel was a new one in Killarney - the Killarney Plaza. The rooms were large and airconiditioned and cost about 150 Euro with breakfast. The rooms were updated and very clean since the hotel was new, but it was still under construction.
The third stay was in Kilkenny at the Lacken house. Fairly expensive for a B&B, but nice, clean and friendly staff. The cost for three nights (double), including one dinner and three breakfasts was about 460 Euro. Finally, we stayed at the Morgan in Dublin. It seems to get good reviews, but don't stay there. The place needs a total re-do. The furniture is worn, fabric torn, plaster coming off walls, warped doors and wood trim, stained carpets, etc. The location of the hotel is great, but its not aircondititoned so you have to sleep with the windows open and the streets are very loud until late in the morning. The costs was 150 Euro and breakfast was not included.
The food is better than England, but not as good as the states. Maybe I'm spoiled from being in Louisianan, but much of the food was mediocre. In addition, it was very expensive. A modest restaurant had entrees for 16.00 to 28.00 Euro or about $20.00 to $35.00 (equal to the best restaurants in New Orleans, New York, Chicago, etc.) I was afraid to check the prices at any upscale restaurant for fear of "sticker shock".
Having said all of that the weather was great and the people were wonderful. If you go to Ireland go for the cultural experience - its the best.
We drove all over Ireland and had no trouble, but my son and I are both experienced drivers. However, if driving bothers you at all, don't drive in Ireland. A major highway can go from 4-lanes to 2-lanes to a narrow road to a road so narrow that such doesn't exist here.
We much preferred the area around Galway and Kilkenny. If I go again, I'll skip Killarney all together. I would really love to spend 4-5 days in Galway and County Mayo and then 4-5 days in the Kilkenny are and south east Ireland. Dublin was okay, but having seen it once is enough.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:27 AM
jor

I agree with your last sentance. I spent four days in Dublin, which was a mistake. I was in Ireland three years ago and spent much less. Added it all up and it came to about $100 US per day including a five day guided bus tour.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:24 AM

I must have really budgeted well on my trip in April. It came out to $1650 for 14 days, including Air, Car , Food, Lodging, 1 bus trip , and 1 Medieval Banquet.
That came to $118 per day.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:04 AM

I'll be traveling to Ireland in November and will be there for 6 days. Flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. We will be driving and wanted to know if you could let me know where we should go. Staying in Dublin 1st night and at Dromoland the last. I have 4 B&B vouchers. Would like to see Waterford, Cork, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs, etc. Is there anywhere that we should skip in order to pay closer attention to somewhere else?
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

For six days with first night in Dublin, I would suggest two nights in a B&B between Cork and Killarney, traveling through Waterford on the way. That way you can see Cork, Ring of Kerry, Kinsale, coast line drives, etc. Then travel up to see Cliffs of Mohr on way to either Galway or Limerick or somewhere near there for two nights. I was told by a friend (and it turns out to be very true) that you can only count on averaging about 35-40 mph while traveling on Irish roads. I would say that is about right. So judge your distances accordingly. The only roads which you can count on consistently traveling at 60 mph or greater is the M or Motorhighways, of which there are only a few outside of Dublin. Even between Dublin and Galway or Dublin and Cork, the road is not always 4-lanes and even some of the 2-lane areas is narrow with lots of curves and small towns to go through. Eventhoug everyone goes on the Ring of Kerry, I preferred the drive along the coast outside Galway to Roundstone, Clifden, etc.,
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:31 PM

I always warn people not to go to Killarney!

As for the food, you can get some outstanding food in Ireland. But the problem is that there also are plenty of mediocre restaurants, and they tend to be in the tourist areas (particularly Killarney town).