Just Back from Hungary

May 29th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Howard

Just Back from Hungary

Hello -

Just got back from an 11 day trip to Hungary. I would highly recommend a visit. The people were very nice, weather was fantastic, and the sightseeing was fine. We spent about four days in Budapest (loved the baths and the walking along the Danube), day trips to Szentendre/Visegrad and Eger, and two nights in both Sopron and Pecs.

May 29th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Shannon

Howard -

I am going to be in Budapest for 2 days only in two weeks. I am wondering what you consider the must do's for that short amount of time. One of the days is a Sunday, so I was wondering what will be open to visit then?
Thanks!

May 29th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Howard

In 2 days you can see a fair amount. Part of your time can be should probably be spent on Castle Hill. Others things that would be good are a walk on the Danube embankment, one or two museums that would be of interest to you, a tour of parliament, visit to St. Stephens, walk down Vaci Utca - pedestrain shopping street. All attractions are open on Sunday, and almost all stores are closed. On Saturdays, most stores close at around 1 PM.

May 29th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Cici

What baths do you recommend in Budapest?

May 29th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Art

Hi Cici, I went to the baths in the Gellert hotel and enjoyed them very much.
Regards
Art

May 30th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Howard

I went to four of the baths in Budapest. Two of them were old Turkish baths - the Rac and Rudas. These are on the small side, but atmospheric, and all of the facilities are indoors. The Rac has alternate days for men and women. The other two are more recent baths - and larger. The Szechenyi - which I would recommend if you only had time for one - with 3 large outdoor pools and many indoor ones, and the Gellert - at the hotel of the same name, which includes a wave pool.