Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from Greece. Something you should know...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Greece. While the ancient sites are awesome, something you should know if planning a trip there this summer..... in preparation for the 2004 Olympics, most major museums are closed for updates and renovations. Some of the major sites (Acropolis for instance) are covered in scaffolding. I really can't believe that Athens will be ready for the games as the infrastructure isn't anywhere near complete and they have less than a year to finish all the works-in-progress. Bottom line is that you may want to postpone your visit until AFTER the Olympics. Also, while I was in Athens, the city was shut down (all major tourist sites closed and major roads/streets closed) for the European Union ceremony to induct the new EU members. So in addition to the Olympic Games construction and the closure of most museums, Athens' answer to boost security for the few "VIP's" in town for the EU Ceremony was to shut the city down...... what are they going to do for Olympic Game security?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info, Ke1th. That's one of our ports of call - now what do??? If we're only there for a day, is visiting the Acropolis even worthwhile all covered in scaffolding, or perhaps would you suggest a particular area for shopping, lovely lunch and great vistas?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM

I'd like to know when the Parthenon hasn't been covered in scaffolding? If you wait for the scaffolding to be taken down, you will wait forever. A nice area for shopping in Athens is the Plaka, just below the Acropolis.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:53 PM

This is a real bummer. I've been planning a trip to Athens for years and can't change the date. I think our time in Athens will be short. Do you know if any other islands have been affected - like Crete or Santorini?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:44 PM

I have to agree with Heimdall - we were there in '95 and the Parthenon was covered in scaffolding then. And it didn't ruin my experience...
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:46 AM

Why would other islands be affected, the Games aren't being held on them, be realistic?
The scaffolding in the Parthenon has been there for some time and does not detract from the rest of the site, there is still much to see when you climb up to the Acropolis, what abut the incredible views over Athens for one thing and the museum. There is so much to see in Athens, check out on the museum websites what is and what isn't closed for renovation.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I appreciate the heads up as I leave for Athens late next month. Being a museum geek I'm disappointed that most of them will be closed, but on the upside I now might have a chance to squeeze in a couple of day trips outside the city.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Michelec
Make sure you visit the Benaki museum, it has recently been upgraded and cannot see any reason why it would now be closed.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:21 AM

I would get on the internet and do research to avoid disappointment with openings and closing of sites in Greece. The Benaki and The Cycladic Museums in Athens and the Acropolis are open. Check for the days and time of opening. The Benaki has a wonderful restaurant but is very popular and often booked up. However, you can have a cappucino there and sit out on the balcony. The National Archaeological Museum has been closed since the 2001 earthquake so I, too, missed it when I visited in the fall of 2002. There are many sites open despite the upcoming Olympics; don't miss the Greek Orthodox churches for the fabulous frescoes and icons. In 2002 I was in Athens, Corfu, Monemvassia, Kalamata and Mystra (Sparta) and I saw a large assortment of museums, churches and ruins.
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:18 PM

I was in Athens yesterday(34 degrees! what MUST it be like in July and August! and smog-blech)

Agree about the Acropolis and the Parthenon is very much worth seeing. We were disappointed not to see the archaeological museum (and got ripped off by a taxi driver who assured us it was open and then charged us to take us there.)

Crete, on the other hand, is very much open for business. My second visit to Iraklion Museum. That place is just amazing. Better on second sight even than the first.