Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just Back From Amsterdam/London-Trip Report

Apr 21st, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Just arrived back from London and Amsterdam. It was a nice trip. Weather very cool though. Fortunately it did not pour rain.
We have been to Amsterdam several times before and London once before, but this time kept closer track of where we ate, and even did some things we did not do before..
In London,we visited some people that we met in India in 2004..They picked us up from the airport and we did the London Eye and the Thames River Cruise..It was very nice..We walked from there to Covent Garden and eventually ended up at Chinatown for supper (The Lido, average Chinese food)and from there to a Pub until we were so tired we could not see anymore! The next morning we went to Milton Keynes (a city outside of London) to visit other people and watched the DVD of our India tour..We drove through the countryside and had lunch at a little Inn..We basically did the non-touristy thing..We were treated wonderfully, found the British people to be so friendly...
In Amsterdam we stayed at the Hotel Agora..Nice small hotel on the Singel Canal down the street from the flower market. Nice location but a little noisy at times. Had a canal view room. Staff very friendly, breakfast the same everyday (boiled egg, cereal, breads, lunch meats and cheese)..
Did a bike tour through the Dutch countryside with all of the lovely tulips, it was breathtaking (letsgo-amsterdam.com)..I highly recommend one of these tours..Sore butt, but it was worth it.
Some of the restaurants we ate at..(around 20 Euro including a beer)..Thaise Snack Bar Bird, Zeedijk 77 (excellent Thai food, i can still taste it)..Small restaurant, very few tables..Nam Kee, Zeedijk 111-113..Excellent cantonese food with the best service in Amsterdam (and I am not kidding). Asian Fusion Restaurant (Eat Mode, Zeedijk 105)Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Thai, not bad, but I liked the other's restuarants better..You order and pay first at the counter and then they serve..

For our night out, we choose Indian..The Taj Mahal (Marie Heinekenplein 1)..Absolutely excellent, very spicy..Excellent Chana Masala and the best garlic naan I have ever eaten..45 Euro including beer and rice pudding..Yum, will go back there next time.
Ate at several small places, but the only one I will mention in Maoz Falafel (all over Amsterdam)Very good falafel's, I did't jot down the price, but they are always full of tourists, so they must be good!!
Also ate several fries and mayo, herring, shrimp brodjes, etc, etc...It was a great eating experience..Lastly, we ate at Los Pilones..Kerkstraat 63..(31 Euro including beer)..Great guacamole and nice atmosphere..
Did the Heineken experience tour..Great fun..10 Euro per person and you get three beer each that you get to drink at a few spots while you tour around and also a free gift (i will not tell)..Really enjoyed it and the Taj Mahal Restuarant was right behind!!
That is all for now..It is very expensive in Amsterdam, bring lots of money, warm clothes, the best walking shoes you have...Oh yes, and London is even more expensive!!
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:54 PM

Thanks. That was fun to read. I will have a 6 hour stop over in Amsterdam in July, on a Sunday morning. Can you recommend some place tall where I can get an aerial view and look down on the city?
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM

TracyB -

Welcome home and I'm glad you had a great trip. Ironically, two years ago yesterday I got home from my London/Amsterdam (actually BeNeLux) tour, so it was nice to read your trip report.

We've stayed at the Hotel Agora and everything that you wrote about is right on. We also had a canal view room. The noise only bothered me on Friday and Saturday evening, when the disco next door had the bass on the sound system cranked up. We found the tram stop and grocery store around the corner, plus the general charm of the hotel and the owners, to make up for the noise.

And Nam Kee!!! MY FAVORITE. I'm so glad that you had a chance to eat there. It's not fancy, but the food is good, the portions large, the price is right, and the service is good.

Peace, Robyn >-

Apr 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Robyn, Amsterdam does become addictive.We go there quite often, usually every 2 or 3 years..We usually combine it with somewhere else in the world as it is a nice stop before going home to have some fun after doing some serious travelling..I was so pleased with Nam Kee, I know we will be heading straight there next time we visit Amsterdam..

qqqsal, as for an arial view, I am not really sure, but I know one time years ago we went on top of the Met Building (i think that's what it is called) on Leidsestraat and there is a cafe on the top floor with a view of Amsterdam..I don't know of anywhere else, maybe someone else knows..Best bet is to take an hour canal boat cruise, that way you can get a feel for Amsterdam and how beautiful the city really is..
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM

A great place for an aerial view of Amsterdam is in the the building that is the temporary home of the Stedelijk Museum. It's just a 10-minute walk from Central Station, via a pedestrian pier past the Amstel Botel, a floating hotel. The museum is on the 2nd floor, and on the 11th floor there's a temporary club (called 11) that's apparently a trendy place to go at night. During the day it serves light lunches (sandwiches, soup, beer and wine, etc.) and the view over the water and the city from huge panoramic windows is terrific. The approach from Central Station is an easy 10-minute walk east across the water via a pedestrian pier past the Amstel Botel, a floating hotel. 11 has been open since May of last year and is part of a 50-acre redevelopment project near the station that will include the city's main library and music conservatory plus offices, housing, shops and restaurants. The first phase is scheduled to open in 2007, and 11 will cease to exist. Go now!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll look into them. Happy travels.