Reload this Page >

Just Back 3 Weeks in Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Tricia

We flew from Atlanta to Paris and on to Athens. Was dissappointed with Air France's biz class don't get me wrong it's better than coach but not as comfy as Delta's. But the flight crew was very nice. One of my bag's didn't make it to Athens and it was a nightmare to get it delivered back to me but that's a story in itself.<BR><BR>We took a cab from Athens airport to the Attalos it coat 33 euros for 3 of us. The Attalos for the price (60 euros)was very good the rooms were clean and its location was very central, I will stay there again.<BR><BR>We rented a car from Swift to drive to Patra they delivred our Hyundai Atos to our hotel and gave us good directions to get of town. We were very happy with our service from and they had the best rates we could find. <BR><BR>We were visiting family in Patra and had a baptismal to go to in Nafpato which was very fun and very traditional. When we go to Greece next I want to travel around the Peloponeese more it's so beautiful and seems less touristy.<BR><BR>After Patra we drove back to Athens returned the car and the man from Swift dropped us off at our ferry in Pireaus. I found the Flying Dolphin ferry tickets a little more expensive than I thought they would be. 30 euros for an economy ticket to Naxos. <BR><BR>In Naxos we stayed at Lianos Village it was perfect except it was a little bit farther from town than I expected, it would take about 10 or 12 minutes by scooter to get to Naxos town. If you go to Naxos make sure you rent a car or bike for at least on day to drive up in the mountains (around Halki and Filoti). Naxos town is also very beautiful with tons of restaurants and shopping. By the way the beaches in Naxos are great especially Prokopios.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Sarah

Hi Tricia I was just in Queens over the weekend looking for Greek culture. Can you tell me what you found in Greece. Any good Moussaka? What else was great that you ate. Tell us about Greece beyond the prices.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Tricia

After 5 days in Naxos we left for Santorini we stayed at Stelios Place for 4 days which is in Perissia it was only 30 euros a night. It was 10 steps from the beach had a swimming pool and Stelio picked us up at the ferry for free. The rooms were basic but clean and the people were so hospitable they truly treated us like famly. After Perissia we moved over to Oia. We had our bags sent over by taxi while we took a boat ride around the island that dropped us off in Oia. At the port we rode the donkeys up to the top which I would suggest over walking up the 253 steps. In Oia we stayed at Espersas it cost 150 euros and was worth every penny. The room was 2 levels with a huge balcony and breathtaking view. The service was exceptional while still being very laid back and friendly. <BR><BR>After Santorini we went to Paros and stayed at the Kanales which was in Naoussa. The price on the internet was 88 euros a night but when we showed up with no reservation we got the room for 55 euros sometimes it doesn't pay to book ahead. Naoussa was much nicer than I thought. I pictured it as completly touristy and it wasn't there were more Greek people than tourists. The beaches around Naoussa were not as nice as those in Naxos but we found a couple of nice coves that were way off the beaten track. A drive to Lefkes is worthwhile on a visit to Paros. <BR><BR>After Paros we moved onto Syros. Once again no reservations and we found the cutest hotel Galissas called the hotel Benois. It was 25 euros a night and very nice with a seaview balcony directly across the street from a very nice beach. This was probably the most relaxed part of our trip, we really enjoyed Syros.<BR><BR>The night before we left Greece we stayed at the Acropolis view in Athens we got the room for 80 euros if we payed cash 100 if we used credit. The room was ok I would choose the Attalos over it but the view to Acropolis was amazing especially since threre was a huge lightening storm that night.<BR><BR>On our way home we had one night in Paris. We stayed at the Hotel Des Grands Balcons, I was really happy with our room and the location we were able to walk and see a lot of Paris and the weather was so nice. Hopefully I will make it back soon to see more of the city.<BR><BR>Hopefully I didn't bore to many of you but if you have any questions I would be happy to try to help.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Tricia

Hi Sarah, I found lots of great food in Greece but no Moussaka (I'm a vegetarian)I actually ate lots of really good pizza (not very greek I know) but also tiropitas, greek salads and gyros without the meat. I also love yemista (stuffed vegetables) and giant beans in tomato sauce.<BR>If you really want the greek culture the baptismal was the big highlight I actually got a serious marriage proposal which surprised my husband. (We were in a very small village where dating doesn't really happen) At the baptismal there was lamb and pork roasting on the spit, salads, potatoes, cheese and olives. Not to mention the drinking and dancing and live music. It was a blast.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:32 AM
GARYNFLA

Tricia, great posts.. I could close my eyes and almost imagine being there. It souns like a incredible trip. Thanks for sharing it with us. How was driving in and out of Athens?? Also any place to eat in Plaka that you would say to not miss?<BR>Gary

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Sarah

Great trip Tricia what is tiropitas<BR><BR>SO SO JEALOUS!!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Tricia

Sarah, tiropitas are the cheese pies with the filo crusts, they also have spanokopitas which have the cheese and spinach. <BR>Gary, I have no idea the name of the restaurnts I ate at in Plaka, the first night I was there it was crazy because the was a huge concert going on, we literally walked for a few hours just to find a place with a table free. But we lucked out the food was good. The last night I was there it was storming so we just looked for a place that had indoor seating.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:22 PM
toni

Yasu Tricia<BR>Thanks for the trip report. There aren't many posts on Greece on the board. We are going next June, staying at the Attalos, then going to Paros and staying outside Naoussa at the Contaratos Hotel on the beach and then going to the Esperas at Santorini. It was great to hear such positive things about our choices. If we hire a car in Paros do you know if there is a car ferry we could take to go to Naxos for the day? I love Greek music and dancing, did you come across any good places to kick your heels up? Thanks for the info.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Tricia

Hi Toni, I know you can take a car to Naxos on the big ferries like Blue Star and the Flying Dolphins but I'm not sure about the smaller ones that specialize in daytrips you'll have to enquire when you get there. As far as dancing in Paros two nights in a row there was spontaneous parties in restaurants. The owners would crank up the music and people were dancing on the tables and in the streets. At Barbarossa restaurant there was dancing in front of the church when a bunch of the waiters came out with instruments and they played for quite a while. At Barbaroosa we had a very good meal it might be worth checking out.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:35 PM
sophy

tricia- Nafpaktos is beautiful! Nice beach, good nightlife, delicious food, easy to get to...It is a lot prettier than many of the Greek Islands. Too bad more people dont know about it.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Frank

Tricia<BR><BR>very nice of you to post the report<BR>we're going next spring for the first time..... not sure what to expect. we only have 10 days to do the islands. we are thinking, crete, santorini.... and maybe one more island..... did you like Naxos ?<BR>how do you get around when you're on the island?.... we just came back from southern spain.... drove all over the place, no problems.... can we do the same on the islands?<BR>too many questions ? trying to form a picture.<BR>thanks

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Tricia

Hi Frank,<BR>I really liked Naxos I would most certainly return there. If you asked my Dad I think he would tell you he like Naxos more than Santorini. For travelling on the islands we always rent scooters and love it but I know it's not for everyone. On Crete I would rent a car because of its large size and Naxos is big enough that a car would be useful. On Santorini I'm not sure if I would get a car, parking can be tough. If you do go to Crete I would try to fly because that's a long ferry ride but the ferry rides between Crete and Santorini and Santorini and Naxos are not too long and I find ferry rides to be a part of the whole Greek island experience. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to try to answer.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:52 PM
Frank

Hi Tricia<BR><BR>Thank you for your response. <BR>I’m glad you brought up the subject of scooters …. Have to say was scared to ask<BR>I did the scooter thing in torremolinos ( costa del sol ) … took it to Malaga (being a big city <BR>That I’m not familiar with…. have to admit, was a little scary) but around torremolinos was very handy, didn’t have to worry about parking that’s for sure.<BR>You’re telling me we can pick up scooters in santorini ? ….roads are reasonable and not very crowded ?. they have bigger scooters or just these 50ccs things !…. first day I rented a scooter ( in spain ) was one of these 50 CCs … too anemic for me ( I ride a shadow 1100 at home )…. Next day I got a 125 CC scooter…. Was much better.<BR>Why do you think we should fly to crete rather than take the ferry?…. if it’s an overnight, sailing, in that case, will probably fly to heraklion , however if it’s a day sailing, wouldn’t mind taking the ferry…. Have to say, I’m looking forward to the ferry rides.<BR>Glad to hear that you like naxos…. Looked very nice on the net. And like you said , it’s big enough to rent a car and explore the island…. Any good beaches?… did you notice any windsurfing shops on the island,I’m a fanatic windsurfer, would love to rent some equipment if available. Or the water would be too cold in june?<BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:10 AM
Tricia

I rented my scooter in Perissia on Santorini but saw rental shops in Oia and Fira as well. We paid 10 euros a day for 100 cc bike it got 2 of us around quite well but I've had better bikes. In Naxos we had a problem with Nikos bikes with insurance after someone hit our parked bike. It was quite windy when we were in naxos and there was tons of windsufers as well as kite surfing (I think that's what it's called) I think mst people et their rentals around St.George's beach. As far as the ferry ride if you have the time it can be fun but I would spend the money for a cabin or a first class ticket so you have a bit more room and will arrive better rested. Oh and the roads in Santorini can be a little scary but if you are comfortable on a bike you'll be fine a don't find the roads that busy and local drives are you used to watching out for bikes. The only time we were worried was going from Oia to Fira after dark, steep road a lot of busses. If you like to hike make sure to go to ancient Thira if you go from Perissia go up to the little church that's perched on the side of the mountain, the views are amazing.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:31 AM
Yiannis

Dear Frank,<BR><BR>Naxos and Paros are the 2 islands for surfinng. Especially August it's windy all the time. I am sure they have equipment for you to rent. There is also a championship every year in Paros if I remember well.<BR>About the ferry ride, if you go to Crete use the 2 new boats-ferries Minoan line use forthat route, amazing boats, brand new, this year were leaving Athens at 10 at night and arrive 5 in the morning. So was a ride for a drink, dinner and a quick sleep before arriving to Crete. Crete is huge, totaly different from all islands. Don't stay in Heraklion, except to see the Minoan Palace. The rest is a modern city, very crowded...explore crete definately by car, especially western part, Chania, Rethymno for bigger towns, and many remote villages.<BR><BR>Ferry ride from Crete to Santorini, this year thay had, next year too I guess, HIgh-Speed boats. Fast service, but not allowed to get outside while travveling, but cheaper than flying. Paros and Naxos are both served by the also new ferries: Blue Star Naxos and Blue Star Ithaki and one more, these new Blue Star boats are very nice and all new. <BR>Enjoy you vacation.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Frank

Tricia and Yiannis<BR><BR>amny thanks for your replies, really apreciated<BR>Frank

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:15 AM
Frank

oops.... that was supposed to be:<BR>many thanks, and really appretiated

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Yiannis

Tricia,<BR><BR>I was just wondering...are u Greek American or you just enjoy to travel to Greece? You seem to know quite few places...I am Greek and wonder how an American would visit so extensively Greece...Thanks

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Jessica

I saw that people were posting about flying versus ferries when traveling among the Greek islands. First off, I can highly recommend the travel office in Naxos (I think the main town is Hora, but not positive) - it had the Olympian Airlines counter in the travel office we used. They arranged all of our ferry tickets and flight for the remainder of our trip (we took the 7 hour ferry from Athens to Naxos, a ferry to Santorini from Naxos, a ferry to Iraklion, Crete from Santorini and we flew from Hania, Crete to Athens). In total, I think our travel costs were around $100 for all of our ferry tickets and the flight. I remember that the flight was $55 for the one-way ticket (but was well-worth it compared to the 10 hour ferry ride back that apparently covers choppy seas). I definitely would recommend flying for the longer trips, but the ferries are fun for the sun and the scenery. <BR><BR>And, I agree with Tricia's dad - Naxos was wonderful!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Tricia

Yiannis, I'm a Canadian living in the US I've been to Greece 3 times since 1998 totaling about 9 weeks. My husband is Greek but raised in Canada and his education was in Greek private schools in Montreal. So when we are with his family its like being in Greece I'm the only xeni.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -