Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Jury's hotels in dublin, any personal experieces????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 06:50 PM
edie

i am looking into the Jury's Christchurch and one other by Custom House area. <BR> <BR>any opinions, good or bad would be great.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 09:32 PM
Charles

I stayed in the one in the custom house area and another Jury's which is more expensive but further from downtown life. In cleanliness, quality of service, and quality of accommodations I think they are excellent, 3 and 4 Star rated, in my book. The custom house one is only a 10 minute, or less, brisk walk from the downtown restaurants and nite spots.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 01:04 AM
Juryman

I've stayed at Jury's, Christchurch several times on business. It's 'OK' but not impressive. Basic rooms, no room service, small restaurant. If you get a room at the front of the hotel the noise from the main road & the Cathedral bells can be a pain. I preferred the Arlington & the Grafton Plaza. Don't try Bewley's hotel in Temple Bar either.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Rex

One (small positive) thing to keep in mind: Jury's charges per ROOM, not per PERSON - - in contrast to at least 90% of other hotels in Ireland. <BR> <BR>If you're traveling with a roommate/spouse/companion, Jury's is a much better deal. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Cathy

Edie, <BR>For site seeing and a centre location then opt for the Christchurch Jurys - the Custom House hotel is a nice hotel but the location is in the financial services area and it is not the best area to be walkiug late at night. Christchurch is within walking distance of Guinness, Trinity, Temple Bar, Grafton Street etc and next door to Christchurch too, <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 10:34 AM
edie

Thanks again to all who answered. I'm still awaiting a return email from the hotels, but based on your input, it looks like christchurch location is still in the running, but not custom house. <BR>i was expecting to find really cheap rooms in Dublin b/c we are going in Feb, but i haven't really. i am using a rough exchange of 1.5 when i figure the rates into US dollars. so if it says 50 punts, i figure it's about $75. am i on track with this? <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Linda

Edie, We were in Dublin in July. At that time 50 punts translated to approx. $61 on an ATM withdrawal. On a charge 35 punts was approx. $43.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Rex

The US dollar has been as strong against the Irish pound (punt) as it has been against most other European currencies. <BR> <BR>As of tonight, 50 IEP = $54.14 USD. <BR> <BR>Courtesy of www.xe.net <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:36 AM
Annie

The Jury's in Christchurch is nasty. I stayed there last year and the room was dirty, noisy and hot. I was very disappointed, as the other Jury's I've stayed in have all been very nice. This is one to avoid, however.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:56 AM
love2trvl

Hi Edie: <BR>The rate for 50 punts is about $54USD seems like a good rate to me. Though I have not stayed at this aprticular Jury's I have stayed in others in Waterford Glascow and Edinburgh and they were not bad. Good food and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Have a great trip!!

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 02:17 PM
Jill

I'm an American living in Dublin. Last summer my family and I "lived" in the Ballsbridge Jury's for 6 weeks while we were waiting for our household goods to arrive. (My family = me, husband, and 4 children). We all thought it was great. I think it's more expensive than the two you are asking about, but I'd definitely reccommend it.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:01 PM
edie

thanks for all your input but the jury's christchurch is all booked up. there must be something going on in dublin the weekend of Feb 17-18 b/c a lot of hotels are booked. <BR>we're staying at Trinity Lodge instead, by the college & St. Stephens <BR>