Search

Jury's Croke Park Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
wsz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jury's Croke Park Hotel

Has anyone stayed at the Jury's Croke Park Hotel in Dublin? I found a pretty good rate on the internet ($150). We are looking for a nice hotel that is fairly quiet and walking distance to the city center. Any other suggestions for either hotels or B&Bs?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM

Hotel should be okay. It's walking distance from the city centre, but you would need to pass through some marginal areas where you might not like to walk at night (no problem during the day).
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM

I live not to far from this area. Padraig is correct. By the way the rate is good and the hotel is meant to be nice. Its over a year old I think. You can walk to O'Connell street but you are walking theough a very urban area. Its fine in the day but not a pretty walk. You must take a taxi back at night as there is no bus close to the hotel. It would be cheap enough by taxi home from grafton street maybe 10 euro or less depending on the time of day. There are no pubs nearby but in Drumcondra there are a few with restaurants. Wuinns is walkable from the Hotel on Drumc9ondra road as well as Fagans (long walk) in Drumcondra village. There is an Indian, Thai and not so good Italian restaurant in Drumcondra village. Go for it.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Is Il Corvo the Italian restaurant you have in mind? I like it. A little pricey.

I like the way you got so excited discussing pubs that your fingers went out of control!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM

Ha True! I am on the dry as I have work and exams this month! I meant Quinns but I have only been a few times even though its down the road from me.

Yes the Italian was Il Corvo and its in my top 20 worst meals. I should try again but it was APALLING about a year ago. Ordered pepper filet steak and the sauce was congealed greasy stuff. i HAVE WORKED IN KITCHENS YEARS AGO AND IT LOOKED LIKE IT SAT AROUND, SET AND THEY NEVER REHEATED OR (oops) thinned out. It should be fresh with each order. It was disgusting and I did tell the waitress ery nicely and made sure the waitress knew I thought it was nothing to do with her. Some wqait staff worry you blame them and no one should for the food. I told her just so the kitchen does not make the mistake again. She ignored me and I doubt told the kitchen. We then were TOLD not asked to move to the other side of the room and they started picking up my wine and desert and moving it. It was really crappy and rude. They could have set the tables in the opposite way without moving us. I hate to pay lots for a bad meal and what I call "Eat quickly and get F**ked out the door". Dublin is getting worse as the owners costs rise and get greedier.

Another place I am very fond of is Andersons just off Drumcondra road. They do sweet and savoury crepes and nice coffee and deserts. Its unusual on a residential street and fairly new from what I can tell.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:05 AM
lawchick

Recently I stayed at O'Callaghans Stephen's Green Hotel. I was nicely surprised. It was very good value - 112 euros I think - clean, quiet, rooms not too small and in the midle of the city.

http://www.ocallaghanhotels.com/stephensGreen/

I used to stay in the Fitzwilliam on Stephens green - but it's become too pricey and I found O'Callaghans a good alternative.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Siobhan, good luck with the exams.

Your experience with Il Corvo was unlike anything I ever found. Perhaps it is because my last few visits there were for early meals, when they are not so busy. I gather they do three sittings for dinner now -- very unlike, for example, France (outside central Paris) where you get the table for the whole evening.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Padraig I wwas also in Chez max that opened 2 years ago beside the Castle entrance. It was so good food wose and decent priced (Still had the vbloody 2 hour thing though) went recently and it was awful. The french Owner has started to get Irish. The steaks were really bad i.e cheper cut of meat, bloody when I asked for very well. Cheeese plate was 3 minicule pieces of cheese whem imn the pasdt it was great and they shortened the menu and upped the prices. I give up on these places and the only ones that don;'t disappoint cost a lot and we go a few times a year to them. Saying that I would pay extra for a fantastic meal than just less for a mediocre one.