Anyone know of These 4Star Paris Hotels?

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know of These 4Star Paris Hotels?

This is a follow up question I posted for my friends who are planning a trip to Paris for their anniversary. They want a really special hotel. I can find lots of 4 and 5 star hotels in the Eiffel tower and Champs-Elysee neighborhoods, but think my friends want something with more old Europe atmosphere, like the Marais. Can anyone comment on any of these? I know that they aren't all in the Marais, but I think they're close by. Hotel Royal St. Honore, Hotel de l'Abbaye St. Germain, Hotel Luxembourg Parc, Hotel Villa Mazarin and Hotel du Jeu de Paume. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM

I haven't stayed at any of them so can't comment on them, personally, sorry, but none of them are in the Marais except eh Villa Mazarin. They are probably all within a mile or so, and their locations are fine, but they aren't the Marais. It's hard to say what your friends really want, as they could love the location of the Royal St Honore (which is not a particularly residential neighborhood, being near the Louvre and those expensive stores). They may like that, though. If they want an area that is somewhat less business-like, they should go with the ones more in St Germain or the island (Jeu de Paume). I don't think the Jeu de Paume is exactly "really special" nor equivalent to a 5* hotel.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM

When are they going to Paris? I would recommend le Meurice, right on the rue de Rivoli overlooking the Tuilleries. They have some pretty good rates available through Virtuoso travel agents that include complimentary full breakfast via room service and upgrade on arrival, if available.

If it's not during high season (when there is no special pricing), they might consider the Ritz. Very near le Meurice on the place Vendome, the Virtuoso amenities include all of the above *plus* a one-way limo transfer from the airport to the hotel.

I've posted a blog on the luxury hotels of Paris here: http://travelhorizons.blogspot.com/2...ale-paris.html It talks about these and a few other really great places in Paris.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 03:27 AM
ira

Hi z,

>They want a really special hotel. ... something with more old Europe atmosphere, like the Marais.<

The Marais isn't all that "old world". It's become fashionable for the younger set and the trend setters.

IIRC you were given a hotel on the Ile St. Louis - the Lutece, which looks like a lovely property, right on the main street, not far from Amorino's gelato and Berthillon's ice cream.

Check the reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

That's one of the oldest parts of Paris.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:26 AM

The Lutece is a lovely property but I am not sure that your friends would find it up to 4 or 5-star. For one thing, most of the rooms are quite small. On the same level of the Lutece, in the Marais, is the Caron de Beaumarchais. Again, small rooms. The Jeu de Paume on the Ile: I peeked in and it looks charming but am not sure how well it has been reviewed by those who have stayed there.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM

If they want to stay in Le Marais , try the Pavillion de la Reine on Pl de Vosges or in Ste Germaine, the sister hotel , Relais Christine.

\
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:43 AM

I am honestly not sure what you consider "old Europe" but there are many parts of Paris which, for most folks, would probably qualify including the Marais.

IMo it isn't who inhabits an area that makes it seem "old" but if they are willing to pay the price to stay in a property such as the Pavillon de la Reine which is located on the Place des Vosges (often called the "prettiest square in Paris&quot and as mentioned above it might be memorable for them.

But be aware that the rooms which are nicely appointed vary considerably in size in that hotel but the service is very personable.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. We have looked at Tripadvisor and except for a few negative reviews in the summer, Villa Mazarin seems to get raves. But it's not up on their top 20. How do they rate the hotels by #1, 2 and so on? Is it by positive reviews? I think my own travel agent, whom I rarely use is a Virtuoso TA, or atleast she sends me their deals and promotions. I'll check them out. Thanks again.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM

I don't know how they rate them, but wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to how Tripadvisor rates hotels. It is pretty meaningless, as you can't compare a 4*L hotel to a 2* one in popularity, it's silly. Why do you care how they rate them, anyway, just ignore it. I think it has something to do with popularity on their website or some mysterious ranking or it could be totally bogus and have to do with ads, who knows.

So I do read it for the comments, but would never use it for the ranking or popularity.