Reload this Page >

Jury's Irish Cabaret in Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:13 PM
martha

Please let me know what you thought of this. Is it "corny" or is it worth an evening? I'm quite interested in Irish song,dance and theater. I plan to do the musical and literary pub crawls and to go to the Abbey Theater on previous nights. Is this worth attending,or should we just hit some pubs on our own?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Lillie Harty

Jury`s Cabaret is at Jurys Hotel in Ballsbridge in Dublin and is very popular with American tourists.It is of quite a high standard with good Irish music and dancing.The comedian though was not very funny.Overall worth a visit as is Bunratty Castle cabaret near Shannon Airport.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Siobhan

If you are looking for music and dancing why not go to Johnnie Foxes (highest pub in Ireland) in the Dublin Mountains. They have a room that has shows each night with Traditional Irish music and dance. The food is a lot of seafood and smoked salmon and very good. You can get a taxi up and they will order one for you back to Dublin Centre. It's a nice place and yes occasionally we Irish go these as well for a drink or lunch. <BR><BR>There is another similar one Called Polly Hops. Same type of thing with Music and Dance. My friend has been a few times as she lives nearby and likes it a lot.<BR><BR>Jurys Cabaret I feel is really geared top tourists and less authentic. My Aunt gets tickets free each year and goes but she thinks it's cheesy. I haven't been myself. I would hit a few pubs on Baggott/Merrion Street with Music Like O'Donohues and Foleys.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:29 PM
martha

Lillie....I was planning on going to the cabaret at Bunratty my last night in Ireland. Is that perhaps of a higher quality than Jury's, or are they about the same?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Martha

I thought it was really corny. If you like sitting in a huge room with about 6-8 tour buses full of people, everyone getting the same meal(not very good) then you will like it. The dancing was ok but the comedy IMHO was stupid and unfunny.<BR>I did take in a play at the Abby and it was wonderful.<BR>Have a great visit.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Karen

We were on one of those tours and led into the huge room with long tables and stage in front....however, we were all so surprised and pleased that we liked the show and dinner. We thought the comedian was hilarious and enjoyed the music and dancing. I truly thought it was going to be &quot;a dog&quot;, but shocked to find it so much fun...I assume most of the people were Americans, but that didn't bother us a bit.<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Lillie Harty

Bunratty features a medieval dinner and cabaret,modelled on what might have been served in the castle a few hundred years ago.The food itself is quite ordinary-primitive perhaps and does not really have too many utensils- and you get something called mead to drink.It was quite convivial at the table I was at and most of them who were Americans enjoyed it.The music and singing were excellent and I still listen to the CD I bought there from time to time.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Laoghaire

Hi Siobhan! Husband and I will be in Dublin and Ireland for three weeks in May. I ran across info on Johnnie Foxes, and it sure sounds like fun. Is the Hooley Night worth the full evening there ( we will be driving )? Or, I do see they have live Irish music sessions on the weekends from 3:30 to 5:30 PM. I would really appreciate more feedback from you if you have time....Thanks....Helen