Reload this Page >

Jungraubahen pass V Bernese Oberland pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Ruth

<BR>I am staying in Lucern for 3 nights, & Wengen for 7. I receive a Swiss Card from my tour operator, but am really confused about these other passes. Is it worth getting one, and if so which? What is the difference between them? Is there anyone out there who could please advise? Thanks, Ruth.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:47 AM
s

Hello Ruth,<BR><BR>Unfortunately, there is no easy answer here. The best thing you can do is to identify the train trips and excursions that you are likely to make and add them up to see if they equal or exceed the cost of the passes. A frequent poster here, Bob Brown, has done this and posted his results -- one is called “Swiss Pass Cost Comparison” and another is “Break Even Analysis of the Swiss Card.” Try doing a search in the text box to find them. Of course, you won’t know for certain that your trips will duplicate his trips, but at least it’s a model for your own calculations.<BR><BR>Many other posters here decide to buy a pass even if they don’t plan to travel extensively. These people prefer the freedom and spontaneity of being able to travel anytime, anywhere without worrying about schedules or saving a few francs per day.<BR><BR>You can get rail schedules and prices at www.rail.ch, then “Travel/Timetable.” The Jungfraubahnpass info is at www.jungfraubahn.ch, and the Berner Oberland pass info is at www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch. Both of these sites include detailed maps showing what’s covered when and what’s not. I think the Swiss National Tourist Office also has information about these passes on its website at www.myswitzerland.com. I’m not sure exactly where the information is, but I’d start surfing around the train/rail pages.<BR><BR>Best of luck!<BR><BR>s<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Ruth

Thank you very much "s" for your detailed reply. I am about to do my homework based on your detailed advice. Thanks once again, R.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Ruth

Did I really miss the "f" out of Jungfraubahen? Another question- how flat is the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Bob Brown

If those cost calculations of mine don't surface here, I put a slightly different version of them on Frommers as well. The assumptions made, and the basis of the cost comparisons are a function of where one goes and what one does. It does not take much to shift the basis around and alter the figures considerably.<BR><BR>There are two valuable sites for getting prices. One of them is the Swiss Federal Railways site at www.sbb.ch The English overlays will appear if you click on the words Swiss Federal Railways.<BR><BR>Another site I used in doing some of my calculations is this one:<BR>http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/english/pages/SE/SE_KrTe.htm<BR><BR>It will give you figures for the Berner Oberland Region.<BR><BR>If your Swiss Card is included in your tour package, I don't think you will benefit from the Berner Oberland <BR>Regional Pass. Of course in saying that I am being a little presumptive.<BR>However, if your additional out-of-pocket-cost for the Swiss Card <BR>is 0, then the break even point shifts dramatically. <BR><BR>The Regional Pass is 195 chf, and only pays for itself if you use it a lot.<BR>The Swiss Card on the other hand is <BR>165 chf, and can be amortized almost by taking two trips at half price: the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn.<BR>Here is a quick cost comparison, based on Interlaken Ost.<BR><BR>To Wengen 24.80 return <BR>Jungfraujoch 134.80<BR>Schilthorn 93.40<BR>Grindelwald 61.60 (via L'brunnen)<BR>TOTAL 314.60<BR>At half, price you pay 157.30 and save the same amount. That almost equals the cost of the Swiss Card. If you save half the cost of the trip from Luzern to Interlaken Ost, you have more than broken even on the full price of the Swiss Card.<BR>Using the Free Days of the Berner Oberland Pass on the trips listed above would cost you<BR>49.50 + 31.10. (The final stages of the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are sold at best with a 50% discount.)<BR>Based on Wengen you save<BR>49.50 (KS to J'joch)<BR>31.10 (Murren - S'horn)<BR>61.60 (Wengen - G'wald)<BR>31.20 (Wengen - M&uuml;rren)**<BR>35.00 (Wengen - KS)***<BR>TOTAL 208 in savings which amortizes the Berner Oberland Pass.<BR><BR>** Wengen Murren is free on the way to the Schilthorn; you pay half of M&uuml;rren to the top of the Schilthorn.<BR>*** Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg is free on the way to the Jungfraujoch.<BR>You pay half the final leg from Kleine Scheidegg to the top.<BR><BR>These cost comparisons might give you a better idea of what you will spend and what you will save. Of course, you have to make the outlay to get there in the first place.<BR><BR>I have assumed here that it is out of pocket to take these trips. I did not know if they were or not.<BR><BR>I shifted the base here, but right now I need to go. So if you want to recalculate my figures based on Wengen for the Swiss Pass, have at it. And post your results to augument what I have.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:20 AM
tt

up