Going to Ireland on Aer Lingus

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:02 PM
kam

Going to Ireland on Aer Lingus

Hi all. We are going to Shannon via LAX from the Bay area. Our outbound flight leaves at 5:15 west coast time. Does anyone have any idea what the meals will be like or should we plan to eat at LAX prior to the flight? It's a 777. We've done this before and with the 3 hour check in we'll have lots of time to eat at the airport. Also, how does one order a special meal like a fruit plate etc. on an airplane. I usually just get the regular thing and feel sick after a few bites. Thanks.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Doug

I haven't flown Aer Lingus in ages but dinner is usually served shortly after take off on early evening departures from the U.S. to Europe. Breakfast (usually continental) will be served shortly prior to arrival in Ireland. Call the airline directly to request a special meal; then reconfirm it when you check in at the ticket counter. Have fun!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:48 AM
xxx

Aer lingus is no better or worse than any other airline for food. I am a vegeterian and you can book a veggie or Kosher meal if you call the airline. You can't do it at check in though as it is too late.

I always eat before I get on a plane as there is nothing worse than being cooped up and hungry in a place you can't leave for 5 -8 hours. As well when you land if it is an unsociable hour nothing will be open. I remember landing in Shannon as a child and the only thing open was the bar. My parents were stuck with 3 starving kids and could only get us cokes and chocolate biscuits at 7 am.

Bring snacks!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Ann

I was about to repeat my usual stuff about how cramped Aer Lingus' flights usually are, but then I noticed you're on a 777. Lucky you. Those are nice, big planes, although I think Aer Lingus still sticks in a few more seats on those than other airlines.

I usually solve the food problem by buying a sandwich at my favorite deli before I go. If the food on board is bad, I eat my sandwich for dinner. If not, I save it and eat it for breakfast, as I rarely like airline breakfasts.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:53 AM
hates

I fly aer lingus every year to shannon and always arrive in boston early so I can have a huge italian meal with all the fixings in the Noth End before I board the flight. Airline food is almost always intolerable and I know once I arrive on the old sod, it'll be nothing but potatoes and tea the whole time I'm there.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:02 AM
doc

I dont think Aer Lingus has any 777's. You may want to double check,kam. However, I flew them last winter to Shannon and thought it was fine. food was same as any airline that flies international,and free guinness. But I do think you will fly an airbus 330-300

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:09 AM
hates

doc: where did you get free guinness? First class?

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:15 AM
doc

Hates, in coach. But they did run out somewhere over Iceland. On the way back,(to boston)they only serve alcohol for 2 hours .

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:16 AM
AA

Doc is right about the equipment. Also the seats are little tight. Service is good, food ok.
One question. You state you did this before, so why ask all these questions? Just curious.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Kam

AA---because I'm getting old and forgetful. I can't remember even though it was two years ago. I get it confused with last year's flight to England. Sorry if I offended you. Isn't this a place to ask travel questions?

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:31 AM
AA

No that's not what I meant. Sorry!
Have a great trip!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:02 PM
kam

It's OK AA. I went back and checked and it is a A330-200. I remember it being pretty comfy though (I'm not very big) It was either BA or UA that we fly specifically out of LAX to get the 777 to Heathrow. We go about once a year and my brain gets muddled. So, what do you think about the 330-300? It still has the 2 seats on the side configuration, right? As long as the food is decent, I'll just have a light lunch at LAX and hope for the best, I guess. I do remember Aer Lingus had very nice flight attendants which made for a nicer flight than normal.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Janie

Kam,

I flew Aer Lingus last October and thought it was the best experience Ive had in the air to date. The flight attendants were so sweet and the food was the best Ive ever eaten on an airplane. I would give it an A+.

ps, I flew on the airbus style, but didnt have a problem with crowding since I'm an average size, 5,5" and 120lbs.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:29 AM
jinx

Hi,
Flew Aer Lingus to Los Angeles and back in early April. It was fine, though the seats aren't generous. I was lucky to get an emergency exit seat on the way back and it was great. the food is ok, but I've eaten better on transatlantic (e.g Continental). I usually opt for a veg. option but even so, I would eat beforehand at LAX