Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

June travel to Tuscany, 2nd time - how much time to spend in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:46 AM
Jill

I will be travelling to Tuscany this June on my honeymoon. We arrive in Pisa late aftrenoon, planning the night in Pisa then travelling to Chianti. We have rented a farmhouse on a working vineyard, Le Miccine, that will work as our base. <BR><BR>I have been to Florence before, my finace has not. We are planning to spend a good bit of time South of Florence. Should we plan a full day in Florence or explore around city - Fiesole? I am OK with skipping Florence this time, my Fiance is not particularly driven to go the museums, but is it something he should absolutely see? <BR><BR>We have 10 days, the last two are in Lucca, and we'd like to visit Siena, Cortona, Pienza, Montelcino, Montepulciano, for sure. Any thoughts on Arrezo? My finacee would really like to go to the coast as well, and I hear I should really try and fit Assisi in if possible. We will have a car, so driving is not an issue. We'd like this trip to be leisurely, not a whirlwind see the tourist sights trip. Our focus is on wine, food, architecture, anthroplogy, and horticulture. I'd appreciate any feedback on must see stops along those lines. Thanks!!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:10 AM
Sia

Jill-<BR> Just got back from a week around the Tuscany/Umbria area myself. We stayed in Florence for two nights. After the second full day, I was ready to move on...the museums were amazing, but the crowds began to wear on me. The best non-museum thing we did was a walking tour-the stories about the history of the city and about the architecture made us appreciate Florence so much more. Assisi is a must see. Driving along the Chianti highway for an afternoon is the best...as well as visiting places like Moltepulciano. Best of luck, have a great time and TRY THE BRUSCHETTA (the best in Italy).<BR>Ciao, Sia

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:20 AM
Jill

Thanks for the feedback, I think in June the crowds will be awful in Florence, at most I am thinking we'll spend a half day there. <BR><BR>Where in Assisi did you visit? Were there any particular restaurants that you absolutely loved?<BR><BR>Thnaks,<BR>Jill

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
suzanne

Spend a day or two in Florence, but you must see Cortona. It is wonderful!!!Florence is very busy and the waits for the museums are horrible. We got food at the markets and ate in the countryside. We will be there again in July. This time we rented a villa near Arezzo-can't wait. Have a great time.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:00 AM
a--z

Jill:<BR><BR>Florence will be crowded in June. Since you've already been there and aren't driven to return and he's not a big museum fan, I think you can both skip Florence for this trip and focus on the oh-so wonderful Tuscan countryside. Plus it'll give you more time to edge over to Umbria towns.<BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:09 AM
J T Kirk

We spent about 5 days in Florence two years ago, during June. It was, indeed, busy. And hot. And after two days, we had really seen it all. Yet, as you know, it's a beautiful place. When we go back to Italy, which we will, I won't miss a thing by skipping Florence, however. If you're limited as to time on this trip and have other wonderful spots to visit, which it sounds like you do, I'd definately make Florence a one-dayer.