Reload this Page >

June/July or Sept/Oct - Italy with the kids

Old Jan 4th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year everyone!

I am planning a trip to Italy with hubby and the kids (ages 15 and 12 - great travellers), from Australia for three weeks. Our options are the June/July school holidays which start at the end of June and which last for three weeks, or the Sept/Oct holidays which start at the end of September but which only last two weeks. We would need to take the kids out of school for a week which I don't really have a problem with for the younger child but I am more reluctant for the older one. Our itinerary is yet to be confirmed but I am thinking three nights in Venice, two nights in Florence, three nights in the Chianti region followed by a week in a villa or agriturismo in the Val D'Orcia region. We would then end in Rome for five nights.

The pros and cons that I see for each are:
- hotter and possibly busier in June/July (but we do live in Brisbane where it was over 40 degrees C today so we are used to the heat)
- longer days in June/July
- cooler and maybe quieter in September but it is another three months to wait!!!
- having to take a senior student out of school in the final term of the year (we run Jan to Dec in Australia)

Given our possible itinerary what are your thoughts on each? I would also be interested in hearing about out of the way places to visit where we can avoid the crowds. We all enjoy just following our noses to see what we can see and won't necessarily be doing the usual tourist stuff. Is getting into the hills of Southern Tuscany a way to avoid crowds?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 02:57 AM

Late June - early July is by far the better choice: not yet high season, long days, probably no rain at all, seawater already warn enough for a swim.
There will be no crowds as long as you avoid holiday ghettos popular with people from Northern Europe. They begin to envade Italy at the first days of July whereas Italians make holidays mainly in August.

I suppose you will rent a car for your stay in southern Tuscany. So, you can drive every day to another so called hidden gem without planning a lot in advance.
Venice - Florence is fast and easy by train

May be you have a look at
http://oldweb.enit.it/navgraficacomu...lang=UK&id=644
http://oldweb.enit.it/navgraficacomu...lang=UK&id=700
http://oldweb.enit.it/navgraficacomu...lang=UK&id=401

September - October is often rainy.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 04:54 AM

I would maybe have a slight preference for June and July myself, mainly because the days are longer, but also because the countryside is usually a bit greener. I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's a very clear advantage.

I especially don't agree about the crowds; Tuscany, and especially Florence, will already be sinking under the weight of the tourists in June, and likewise Venice. Rome is a much larger city, so the visitors are a bit more spread out, but there's very little difference between late June/early July and late September/early October in terms of the numbers of tourists in these places.

It is certainly likely to be cooler in late September/early October. You might be there during the vendemmia (grape harvest), which could be fun. The exact time is unpredictable, depending on the season. It's true that there's a higher chance of rain in autumn; this might be a bit of a problem during the rural part of your trip, but in the cities it would hardly matter.

I don't know if Australia is much different from the other three countries where I've lived, but I can't imagine that missing a week from school, even in the final year, would have a big impact on your son's life.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I didn't think there would be much difference in the crowds. We went in the middle of winter last time we were there and there were still plenty of people. The longer days are appealing. The heat won't be a problem for us do you think? And yes, I'm sure he'd probably be fine with a week out of school but there would need to be a very clear advantage I think to go then when June/July is easier (and sooner!). Cheers!
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I've done a few similar trips with my kids (also Australian). I would have thought that June/July would be busier than late September/October. However, more important is how you spend your days. If we are hiking, then I opt for cooler times of year but if we are spending time wandering around around, visiting shops and museums (and generally less strenuous) then it doesn't matter. And it will be greener June/July. I have also found that the weather can vary a lot from year to year. For example, Sept/Oct 2011 seemed to be unusually warm (borne out by weather charts) and, particularly in Provence, we hiked in the mornings and lazed around the pool in the afternoon - it was pretty warm for us (but we're from Melbourne and my son does not like the heat). Check the travel planner on www.wunderground.com for historical weather.

I know exactly what you mean about needing a good reason to take the kids out of school and our personal decision was that we were happy to do that up to year 9 but not so much after. Very much a personal decision and depends a lot on your kids, school camps, etc. Enjoy!
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 01:36 PM

June/July? You're a glutton for punishment if you choose this time. Not only is it hotter than hell, the whole of Europe and North America are on vacation then - you'll pay a premium for everything, hotels will be packed and so will public transportation and popular sightseeing destinations.
Late September early October is infinitely better - less crowded, less heat and most importantly, school for northern hemisphere kids is back so less crowds.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Lol! That's what one of my girlfriends told me, so I have been surprised by the reponses so far.
Although, it is hot as hell where I live too.....!
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Hi drjem
Taking into consideration that your senior student will finish year 12 on the 21 November and have to sit for final exams later in the year I would look at June/July. Yes it might be busy and crowded to what you are used to but certainly no stranger to the heat. We took our 16yr old son out of year 11 for 2 weeks to travel around the Greek islands.
He asked if he had to come.......
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelnut - he is only year 10 though. Thoughts?
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 01:00 AM

Sorry,I had senior in my mind and thought year 12.
Wouldn't be as important then but I'd still pick June/july over Sept/Oct.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 01:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
june july, while it is the start of the holiday season it is not at the high point and Sept/Oct can be chilly

You will find that parts of Italy in June/July are not just hot they are very humid, I met a Texan there in June one year who said it was the most uncomfortable he had ever been, so you do need access to a pool.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 01:57 AM

@ billoburgler - 'chilly'? Are you from India or Singapore? you must be if you think this part of Italy is 'chilly' in September/October.

I was just there and swimming in Positano at the end of October and the weather was perfect. So unless you're from a tropical country who would find it 'chilly', you would think it fine for swimming.

As for humidity - that is also wrong. The OP - being Australian - is used to humidity that is on a par with Florida. And in NO WAY is Italian humidity like that.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:05 AM

Putting aside issues of schooling and waiting longer, personally I would choose late Sept/early Oct over July. It will be a bit cooler and may also be less busy. But if you're used to hot weather, then it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference, I suspect. You'll have a great time either time.

ps. Weather really does depend on what you're used to. I travelled with a friend from Queensland to Italy in May this year and she thought it was cold and I didn't.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
house of the vetti, I can only tell the OP what conditions I have met on many occasions.

Chilly country? I live in the UK, so I know chilly when I see it
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM

June is low season almost everywhere in Italy. The high season begins in early July in Northern Italy and mid to end July in Southern Italy.
Only a few people and school children in Europe have holidays in June.