Reload this Page >

June 2 National Holiday

Search

June 2 National Holiday

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
Tony

June 2 National Holiday

I haven't seen much about this, but June 2, 2002 is the anniversary of the foundation of the Italian Republic. Will be arriving in Rome early that morning. What can we expect in the way of disruptions and closings? Anything special going on around Rome that we might want to participate in?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:26 AM
deb

I'll be in Tuscany and was curious about this also. Any comments?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:30 AM
xxx

ttt

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Kris

We were in Rome last year around the same time and one of the days (I believe it was June 2) there was a huge military parade that started near Circus Maximus, ran along the area near the Coliseum and up to the wedding cake (monument to Vittorio Emanuele II). The day before the parade they had the wedding cake opened up to place the video cameras so you could climb to the top and have a look around. I think the metro station at the Coliseum was closed during the parade so I took it to Circus Maximus.<BR><BR>They also opened up the Quirinale Gardens to the public, apparently the only day the public is allowed in. We waited in a huge line, mostly Italians, to get in. I really didn't think it was all that spectacular as far as gardens go but all the locals seemed to be excited by it. This link has some photos of the Quirinale Palace and grounds.<BR>http://www.romeartlover.it/Vasi192.htm<BR><BR>My husband had a bout of food poisoning at the time so we didn't try to go anywhere else. The concierege at your hotel should be able to help you with closings.

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:27 PM
June

I posted a message about the holiday a few days ago, but can't find it. We will be staying in a hotel on the parade route that weekend. The gal at the hotel said they would be practicing the night before, so it will be noisy (use earplugs to sleep), but the parade will definitely be an event to see and photograph from the roof terrace at the hotel. I did not ask about any other happenings around town or inconveniences, nor did she offer any info. Buon divertimento!

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:06 AM
ttt

ttt