July Itinerary - UK and Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. You've all given me such great advice in the past that I thought I'd post my upcoming itinerary and see what you think.<BR><BR>July 2-5 - London<BR>July 5-7 - York and surrounding areas<BR>July 7-11 - Edinburgh. Side trips to Glasgow and other?<BR>July 11-14 - Cardiff and surrounding areas. (Newport, etc.)<BR>July 14-16 - Salisbury (what do you think of spending two nights here? I want to see Stonehenge which will only take 1/2 a day as well as explore the city. Is this too much time here?)<BR>July 16 - Train from Salisbury to London Gatwick (Madrid)<BR>July 16-20 - Madrid with a day trip to Toledo<BR>July 20-25 - Barcelona (any day trips I should go on?)<BR>July 25-29 - London, leaving for home on the morning of the 29th.<BR><BR>Your insight would be appreciated - there may be better ways for me to be going things.<BR>Also I will be flying between Madrid and Barcelona, and then from Barcelona to London.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:06 PM

I assume you are doing this by train. It looks pretty doable. You are hitting some great areas. There is so much to see in and around Edinburgh you may decide not to go into Glasglow - but you can decide that after you are there. The Tourist Information Centers in York, Edinburgh and Cardiff can hook you up with local guided tours.<BR><BR>As for Salisbury - it is a lovely town and you would certainly enjoy staying two days - or you could stay one night in Bath and the next one in Salisbury.<BR><BR>I have only been to Spain once so I'll leave that part to others - but it looks fine to me.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:14 AM

If you visit Cardiff between the 11-14th July, then you will be in the middle of the Cardiff Festival. There will be pleantly of things to do around the Bay during this time, and there is usually things happening in the city centre, along with what is usually going on in the city. <BR><BR>However, there isn't much to do around Cardiff. I wouldn't bother visiting Newport (unless you have family there) - it is a very industrial town, and doesn't have many attractions.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Janis - thanks for looking things over, I know that it might me more preferable to stick around one area of England, but Edinburgh and Cardiff are both must see's, and since they're at (almost) opposite ends of the British Isles...<BR>I was reassured that two nights isn't too much in Salisbury - though now I'm beginning to juggle around the idea of visiting Bath at some point as well. I think that's the biggest problem when you are a traveller - you want to go everywhere and see everything but somehow have to choose between them!<BR><BR>Trevor - I was thrilled to learn that I'll be in Cardiff during the festival! What a stroke of luck (and I really can't believe that I didn't know anything about it with everything that I've read!)<BR>I guess I would have had a plesant surprise when I arrived. <BR><BR>Thank you both, your advice it muchly appreciated.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Four days for Edinburgh as a base is probably fine, given the nature of your trip. What do you want to get from Scotland? That would dictate whether or not you leave Glasgow in the equation
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Hi Julie,<BR>As well as the Cardiff festival, you can visit several castles, of course Cardiff Castle is right in the city center, Caerphilly Castle is about 8 miles North and Castle Coch (In welsh means the red castle).<BR>You will see its mystical turrets protruding from the woodland North of Cardiff. <BR>Its a folly really and was built fairly recently (within the last 150yrs)by the Marquess of Bute, you will see a similar theme of decoration to that used oin Cardiff Castle which he also contributed to. Although Cardiff Castle has links to the Romans.<BR>But still worth visiting for the beautiful ornate decorations.<BR>Muck