Reload this Page >

Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Cali

Could someone tell me about the Jules Verne restaurant? Is is expensive? Is is great food, good food, or just a tourist trap? Does it give you express access to the top? All things considered, is it worth it or not? Thanks!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
Rex

Very worth it, in my (now ten years ago) experience (which means that it has to be taken with a huge grain of salt, of course). But many others here seem to think it's worth it, too.<BR><BR>It's not at the top, so, no, you don't have express access to the top (but maybe priority, from level two to the top?). It's at level two.<BR><BR>It's great food - - and it ought to be, as the prices really are high - - and worst of all, it now takes about 6 months to get a dinner reservation. You'll find many more opinions here about going there for lunch (you might get a lunch reservation in as little as a month or a week). Most suggest that it's pretty special - - I just don't know if I could get in the mood for such a special occasion in the middle of the day.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Rose

Will be in Paris in middle of March -we are considering going for lunch. Anyone have any idea of the price for a lunch menu (US dollars)? Also is the food good? Thanks

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:50 PM
ryan

There have been several long posts on this over the last few months. Type Jules Verne in the search box.<BR><BR>Personally, it was worth it, at least once. It is pricey, $100, at least for lunch.<BR><BR>If you do go, make your reservation for as soon as they open. (12:15 I believe.) Some tables are away from the windows and several have seats facing a wall. The later you arrive, the greater your chance of not having a window table.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:13 PM
Michael

I ate lunch with my family at the Jules Verne in November. The food and service is good, about on par with a few other 1 star restaurants I have been to. The view is quite nice although it is better in many ways at night. I do think it is a tourist destination but because of this I think it is less formal and somewhere you can bring your family if your children are of reasonable age and well behaved. The cost however is high and lunch for two adults and two children was $250 including a modest 1/2 bottle of wine. A normal 1 star lunch would be 50% less expensive. It is a nice break from visiting the Eiffel and you do have a private "free" elevator ride to the Restaurant. I should add that dinner would probably cost twice as much as lunch. Only you can decide whether the cost of eating at the Eiffel is worth it. We tend to eat out for our splurge meals at lunch since you can find some lunch specials at many of the top restaurants in Paris for a fraction of a dinner cost. An example of this was lunch at the Lucas Carton for two adults for $180 while dinner at the same place cost about $100 per entree. The food served at dinner and lunch tends to be about the same in my limited experience so your money goes further in lunches. Also lunch reservations may be easier to get at, especially at the Jules Verne. In november we got our reservation in the morning for lunch.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:00 AM
Gretchen

Lunch for 2 with a kir and bottle of wine was $140. It was a memorable time--the view is superb. You have to pay (I think 20FF) to continue to the top.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:07 AM
Wendy

My mom & I had lunch @ JV 2 years ago in May. It was wonderful!! We sat in one of the booths about 3 spots from the windows and the view is so pretty! The service can be a little stuffy but we wore them down! The food was fantastic! We still talk about it! Gorgeous presentation! We still wish we would have taken pictures of our food!<BR><BR>We kindof went all out so wine and lunch for the 2 of us was 2 hours and about $250. I really think it's worth it but I enjoy spending money on good food and atmosphere. If it's not something you would do at home than it probably won't be as enjoyable.<BR><BR>The restaurant has it's own private walkway to the middle viewing platform. I've been to both the top and middle and really the view is very similar. <BR><BR>If you go make your reservations well in advance! 1 month for lunch, more for dinner. If for any reason you can't get reservations it is worth calling agin when you are in Paris as sometimes there are cancellations!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Grasshopper

I was there last month. It was very nice, one of the highlights of our trip. It was a beautiful clear day and our view was great. The service was nice and the food very good. We paid 140 euros for price fix lunch and 2 glasses of wine. The amazing part was all the little extras they brought, even though we were completely stuffed. We made our reservations through www.reservethebest.com about two weeks before. Our reservation was at 12:30. We left at 3:00. They open the doors at 12:15. Get there early for the best table (although the true window tables seem to be special reservation). You can see well from any table though. One thing to note is that we sat in a smoking section. I don't know if there's a no smoking section but people all around us were smoking.