jgarvey, are you there? important

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canon just issued a safety warning for the A530 and A540 like the one you just bought for your son's trip. Cameras with serial numbers beginning with "21" "22" "23" and "24" MAY have a short circuit problem in the battery compartment leading to severe overheating and very reduced battery life. Have your son check the number and contact Canon or the store if he has those numbers.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
jgarvey

Basingstoke, thanks for being on the lookout. I will notify him right away. Thanks again for the heads up.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM
jgarvey

Hi, JG here again. Just left a message for my son on his voice mail and email. Perhaps you should put out a general note about this to all Fodorites. I know a couple people mentioned that they had bought this model for Christmas (for self or child), and I'll bet there are lots of others out there who would appreciate knowing about this. Thanks again, friend.

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, we bought on of the 540's also. Thankfully, I checked our serial number and it is ok. But I really appreciate the headsup on this!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM
jgarvey

All is well. My son checked his serial number and it begins with a "31." Whew! That was a relief, after all I went through. BTW, he and girlfried just love love love the camera and it was a total surprise. As mentioned before I also gave them a beautiful photo album and each a small journal. It's a good thing I waited until the evening to present the gift, as this is all he wanted to "play with" after he received it. (He is 35 years old). He totally checked out of socializing and "making nice" with the guests. I printed out a full review and presented it along with the camera. This accompanied him to the bathroom for awhile. Obviously, he liked his gift. Again baci to all who helped me with this choice. A great success!

P.S. My computer faces large window to my back yard. I am now watching a squirrel eating a whole slice of pizza; yesterday it was a bagel. Happy to see my squirrels have a variety of international food tastes!