Reload this Page >

Jewelry - Take It or Leave It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 11:55 PM
Jules

Going to Italy this month - is it recommended to leave very valuable valuables behind, such as wedding rings and diamond earrings?

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 03:11 AM
Monica

When I went to Italy May 1998, I just wore the wedding band and simple earrings. I kept my solitaire ring at home. I did see some women wear their expensive jewelry, but I wouldn't recommend it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 03:37 AM
s.fowler

I'm with Monica on this. I wear my wedding band and a small band ring with emeralds [it was cheap!]. I don't take any jewlry of value with me. It's not just a matter of reducing your "target" status, but for me I am capable of losing stuff when I move around sooo.....

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 04:37 AM
Beth

I echo their recommendations as well. <BR>Besides, you can get some great jewelry while you're in Italy. I purchased several cameos while in Florence that were beautiful and reasonably priced. They make wonderful gifts for friends and family, as well as nice reminders of your time there.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 05:54 AM
elvira

I agree with the other goils - not only to reduce your target status, but if you lose your grandmother's diamond earrings while on vacation, that's how you'll remember your trip. eeeyuuu

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 02:19 PM
Jules

You're right - it's just I feel naked without them! Plus, my wedding band and solitaire ring are soldered together, and my husband's ring also contains diamonds so we'll probably both end up buying gold bands for the trip. A small expense I suppose, when compared to the possibility of having them taken! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your advice.

Jules

You're right - it's just I feel naked without them! Plus, my wedding band and solitaire ring are soldered together, and my husband's ring also contains diamonds so we'll probably both end up buying gold bands for the trip. A small expense I suppose, when compared to the possibility of having them taken! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your advice.

Jules

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 02:28 PM
Monica Richards

Leave your jewelry at home, why risk losing or damaging it? But don't buy wedding bands here either, just get them in Italy at the beginning of your trip. What a great and practical souvenier!

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 02:39 PM
elvira

ooooo! Monica EX CEll ENT idea!

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 12:56 AM
Donna

I agree that wearing only wedding rings and small earrings are best when traveling. Not because you're likely to have your jewelry lifted, but rather that it would be assumed that you have other, valuable, possessions worth going after. If we're spending time in a large city and will be dressing for dinner, I also take a strand of pearls, which I wear at all times (tucked under my clothing when out and about). The wife of a couple we've traveled with wears "diamond" studs the size of pencil erasers. I've no idea if they're even real. But, she was relieved of her shoulder bag (containing all their cash, credit cards, airline tickets, passports, etc.) while standing on a street corner about to cross over - by a fellow on a bicycle.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 04:52 AM
Lu B.

Definitely agree. Keep the jewelry simple. I flew home from Paris, sat next to a woman who was so decked out in "multiple layers" of gold on her arms, fingers and ears. A bit risky, not to mention outlandish!!

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Monica

As Monica Richard states, buy your gold bands in Italy. My husband had lost his diamond band so I purchased an 18K gold band in Venice for about $80. Great deals on gold in Italy! He also bought me a diamond anniversary band while in Venice. Boy did I ever safeguard that baby!

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 05:49 AM
Fourires

I just thought I'd put my two cents in on this one. I stayed abroad for three months, wearing my engagement ring, diamond earrings and a saphhire ring. All my jewelry is insured so the issue was more me getting mugged and hurt, not getting my jewelry stolen. My mom told me to leave everything at home, but I chose not to. I was lucky I suppose because I never ran into a single problem. I'm one of those really concientious travellers who's always looking around me, keeping track of my belongings, clutching my purse at all times. I never had any problems with pick pocketers. Just be wary, that's all. If I was on the metro in Paris and the people around me seemed threatening ( which they really didn't) I would just cover my left hand with my right...it was no big deal. So, you can leave it at home to be safe, but I don't think I ever will. I felt really safe in France, as opposed through walking in NYC, which I do quite often too.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 11:07 AM
Al

Well, Europe may be different. Because when we were in East Africa we were told to take off all gold (or gold-looking) jewelry because those who would want to take it had no hesitation to take off your fingers and/or ears to get at it.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 06:17 PM
Lola

Why tempt robbers or call attention to yourself? I've had my purse stolen and was mugged in broad daylight the one time I wore good jewelry-- in Barcelona Spain. When I went to get a new passport, there were bunches of us waiting at the American consulate, all bewildered--sans valuables. Go stylishly fake if you want but don't be foolish and think you can hide it by covering up your hands, etc. Pickpockets know the ploys. Being robbed in Europe didn't happen to me 99 out of a hundred times, but that one was enough to show me it could happen. And you run the risk of losing the stuff yourself in packing and so forth.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 11:10 PM
Maureen

Anyone can heed the advice or not. Most folks with huge heirloom diamonds set in platimun and accessorized with their minks travel by private car and are not "in the mix" of potentially compromising positions. NEVER underestimate the talen and skill of the petty thieves. As someone above mentioned, your jewlery does not attract anyone who might relieve you so much of your jewlery so much as your other possessions. All in all, you would want to present yourself in such a manner as to be "welcomed". Class, not flash, is critical. Better that you "blend" rather than impress... Besst advice is to leave anything really important and valuable to you at home. You may or may not encounter any difficulties. But, whether or not you risk yourself and/or your valuables is entirely up to you.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 05:20 AM
merriem

I have travelled all over, and always worn my jewelry. Kind of like not leaving a good friend at home. However, just for fun, I ordered a high quality 14K wide band, set with 4cts of CZ and frankly, I cannot see the difference. So these next two trips, the diamonds are staying at home. However, I have never had any problem wearing my jewelry, even in Mexico.