Reload this Page >

JetSkins - anyone used these??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:25 PM
olivia

I am considering purchasing these specially designed tights for both my husband and myself as have heard that they assist in a quick recovery from jetlag, reduce DVT and ECS - supposedly the best compression legwear available. As they are not particularly inexpensive, would appreciate some feedback for purchasing.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:29 PM
xxx

What the heck are DVT and ECS and wouldn't you know Americans would have some weird device you can pay a small ransom for to alleviate jetlag?<BR><BR>What nonsense is this, anyway? Hell, just get on the plane and go and rest up when you get there. Why all the post-modern paraphernalia?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Mike

I have friends who fly back and forth to China every month and they don't do any of this about compression etc.<BR>I agree with xxx, just get on the plane and sit down and relax! <BR>Tights are not going to make you less sleepy when you get there! <BR>Maybe you would be interested in a bridge I have for sale?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Curious

How on earth do tights help jet lag????

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:56 PM
whadda

Those who have thusfar responded are a bunch of luckies. I don't know what DVT or ECS is, but I do know my right ankle once got swollen from a long plane flight and it took days to go down. I had twisted it several days before and didn't know I still had a problem (and it had never been swollen before!). You don't realize it until it happens, but if you have any kind of leg problem and sit on that plane, your legs can swell. <BR><BR>But, sorry, Olivia. I know nothing about this product. I would think you could purchase a jobe stocking from a medical supply store or pharmacy and it would serve the same purpose. I don't know what they cost. I'd ask at a pharmacy for alternatives.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:01 PM
assumptions

Isn't "au" Australia and not America. What do you have to say for yourself now, Mr. xxx? (I have no idea if it is Australia, mind you. I just don't think it is a US address.)

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Lucy

You're absoltuely right, the '.au' indicates Olivia is Australian & as we Aussies have to (painfully) endure an approx. 24 hour plane ride to get to Europe DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is a big issue for some.<BR>Olivia, my parents were advised by their Dr to take an aspirin before their last overseas trip which apperently thins the blood making a blood clot less likely. Try & do plenty of leg stretching exercises (lifting your knees up, rolling your ankles around etc) while in your chair plus also get up & stroll around the cabin occassionally.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Pete

Yes, "au" is Australia, just in case Mr XX[email protected]) is unaware there is another place in the world other than America starting with "a" and here is a website for more info on jetskins:<BR>http://www.sportskins.com/jetskins.htm

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:18 PM
ah ha

ECS = economy class syndrome (another name for deep vein thrombosis). DWA (down with acronyms).

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Sheila

And DVT is deep vein thrombosis, and is killing people who fly long distances. More than 40 long-haul airline passengers have died from DVT clots. <BR><BR>They include Emma Christoffersen, from Newport, Susan Mavir-Ross, from Llay in Wrexham, Thomas Lamb, from Cardiff, and John Thomas from Cowbridge, south Wales. <BR><BR>For the last 18 months or so, my husband has had to do a great deal of flying but usually in 2-4 hour hops. he has had to do Houston and West Africa and the Middle East a few times, and when he has longer flights always wears DVT stockings, but not I think the brand you mention.<BR><BR>I have to admit I am baffled as to how they can help with jet lag, tho'

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Betsy

DVT is not restricted to plane travel. You can develop it just as easily if you're sitting at your desk for a long period perusing the Fodor's Forum, or in any situation in which you don't move your legs for a period of time.<BR><BR>OK now, everybody stand up and do a few deep knee bends. Wiggle those toes!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:43 PM
mjs

Doesn't the air pressure on the plane have something to do with increasing the chance of DVT, though?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Sandy

I have some problems with the veins in my legs and understand your concern with DVT. I just purchased a pillow from Magellan's that is made to use for air travel - two chambers, put under your feet, and you "press" the air from one chamber to the next. It is about $10 = I'm sure much cheaper than JetSkins!!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:25 PM
twits

Yes your legs can't breath!<BR><BR>for jet lag,put them over your head,you will fall asleep from lack of oxygen and when you get off the plane you will be rested.